[Marxism] They are all Baathists now? (was: General claims Fallujah outcome has)

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sat Nov 20 23:46:00 MST 2004

.    On  18.11.04
  wrote  ffeldman at bellatlantic.net (Fred Feldman)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000001c4cde4$4f745c80$6401a8c0 at fredpc
  about  [Marxism] Re: General claims Fallujah outcome has broken back of insur

FF> Frankly, I think the people who believe that there are WMDs in Iraq
FF> (other than US ones) will probably buy this phony story for a time,
FF> but I think the main thing the general accomplished was to set the
FF> line for the next issue of  "The Militant."

   Well, Fred, it took them more time than usual to find a line this
time, but the result is one of the lowest I have read in The Militant
re the war against Iraq.

   The headline is "U.S. troops wage war to destroy Baathists".

   And then poor Sam Manuel begins his article with accepting the
claim that "U.S. troops overran Fallujah November 15", while an AP
report dated November 20 tells its readers that there is still
fighting going on.

   It is really sad where these guys have sunken to.

   It seems that this line did not go thru so smooth, which I conclude
from the late publication, and from the fact that in this article
parts of the text are repeated, at least as it is reported on the
title page.

   While the editorial "Bring the troops home now" is right on target,
as far as that title and first paragraphs are concerned, but this
editorial also reinforces the line of the news article, that today's
resistance is just the continuation of Saddam Hussein's regime by
other means.

   Editorial at http://www.themilitant.com/2004/6844/684420.html
   News article at http://www.themilitant.com/2004/6844/684401.html

Yours,

"Die Interessen der Nation lassen sich nicht anders formulieren als unter
dem Gesichtspunkt der herrschenden Klasse oder der Klasse, die die
Herrschaft anstrebt."            - Leo Trotzki         (27. Januar 1932)