[Marxism] Re: They are all Baathists now?

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sun Nov 21 04:49:00 MST 2004

.     Am  21.11.04
 schrieb  sgabosch at comcast.net (Steve Gabosch)
     bei  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
      in  6.1.1.1.0.20041121025356.01dba148 at mail.comcast.net
   ueber  Re: [Marxism] They are all Baathists now? (was: General claims Falluja

SG> In many ways, this is a factual issue - if not Baathist regime
SG> remnants as described by the Militant, or not just them, then who has
SG> been or who has also been battling the U.S. and the U.S.-backed Iraqi
SG> troops in recent days?

   I don't repeat the quotes Steve supplies from this article, people
may well look it up themselves.

   I'm quite certain that many former soldiers and officers of the
former Iraqi army are part of the resistance groups which fight
against the US occupation.

   Iraq had a conscript army, so practically every adult male has been
in the army and has received military training.

   It is also true, that the fighting methods of at least a part of
the resistance groups remind of the political outlook of the Saddam
Hussein regime, by intimidating people thru the threat and actual
application of physical violence up to death. To me, looking from the
outside, it seems that anonymous bomb attacks which kill more
'innocent' bystanders than soldiers of the occupation force, are not
very helpful to politically arm and mobilize the masses, raising their
self-esteem and self-confidence.

   But nonetheless, even these -- in my opinion -- unfortunate violent
acts have apparently not driven the masses to support the occupation
and look to the empire as the first source of protection of limb and
life. I think that the hatred of the occupation is rather rising than
declining.

   And everybody assumes these activists as fighting against the
occupation, even if they use those violent acts to denounce those who
fight, and to mobiize spport to the occupation and the effort to
impose a new political regime from outside forces on the Iraqi people
with military force, against their will.

   The problem with the news and opinion articels in this week's The
Militant is that their way of presenting the situation can be used to
justify a "plague on both your houses", a newtral stance between the
resistance of the Iraqi people and the foreign occupation, because
supposedly there is not yet a "revolutionary resistance".

   Well, quite sure there is not a clear cut proletarian revolutionary
party with a codified program referring to the first four congresses
of the Comintern, to Marx and Engels, and what have you, and leading
the Iraqi working class against both the US occupation _and_ the Iraqi
national bourgeoisie.

   So what?

   Coming back to those famous "Baathist remnants" which "The
Militant" has rediscovered this week, when not even the bourgeois
media paint such a picture, in my opinion the primeary crime of the
Saddam Hussein Regime was to practically disarm the Iraqi nation in
face of the assault of the empire, divide the nation instead of
unifying it, mouthing empty threats of what horrors they would inflict
on the US soldiers, should they dare to attack, and then to give up
cowardly.

   If there are now former soldiers and officers of Saddam's armed
forces actually engaged in a fight against the invader, then this is
already a break with the past of the actual Saddam Hussein regime.

   And whatever their intentions, the struggle which they have engaged
will not end in a restoration of the same Saddam regime oppressing the
Iraqi masses.

   I am convinced that a) it wil be the evolution of those who today
actively fight the occupation will result in a revolutionary movement
based on the masses -- where probably a part of those too much
clinging to the methods of the oppressive regime before will retire
from that evolution -- and that b) the main task of revolutionary
fighters in other countries, and especially in those whose governments
take an active part in the occupation, will be to fight for the
immediate withdrawal, and not tell the Iraqi people that their fight
is futile and that they should wait for the Iraqi working class to
form their own party, unrelated to the current struggle.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
/------------ L.WILLMS at jpberlin.de --
/------------ Lueko.Willms at T-Online.de      -- "Get PGP Key" im Betreff