[Marxism] Two gains US scored recently in Iraq

Ralph Johansen michele at maui.net
Sun Nov 28 18:28:49 MST 2004

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu <mailto:cbcox at ilstu.edu>> wrote

snip

Alexander Cockburn has an excellent article on the election on the
following website:

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/133052/index.php

Here is one delightful paragraph from it:

The truly bad news is the 9/11 nuts have relocated to Stolen Election.
My inbox is awash with their ravings. People who have spent the last
three years sending me screeds establishing to their own satisfaction
that George Bush personally ordered the attacks on the towers and that
Dick Cheney vectored the planes in are now pummeling me with data on the
time people spent on line waiting to vote in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, and
how the Diebold machines are all jimmied. As usual, the conspiracy nuts
think that plans of inconceivable complexity worked at 100 per cent
efficiency, that Murphy's law was once again in suspense, and that
10,000 co-conspirators are all going to keep their mouths shut.

snip

Comment: Although I seldom disagree with the insightful contributions
Carrol makes, I don't know that I agree with Carrol Cox and Cockburn on
this one.

I think there's a lot of overgeneralization here. Everyone on this list
knows that a high level of conspiracy does take place in high places, most
of it so covert it escapes notice. Some deserve what Cockburn says, "that
George Bush personally ordered the attacks on the towers and that Dick Cheney
vectored the planes in", like probably Jared Israel or Larouche if and when they
go wandering all over the lot making allegations without support and drawing
improbable connections among events where none exist. And Ruppert has said
he agrees with much that Larouche has reported, with careful documentation,
although he has many disagreements with him on that which Larouche concludes
from his data. Mike Ruppert is compiling a dossier of challenging, seemingly
well-documented facts, connecting plausible dots implicating the neocons at
least in tacit assent but without much further editorializing, against a crew who
from their track record are capable at the least of complicity in the occurrence
of 9-11.

I sent this to Gerry Cavanaugh <gjcav at jeffnet.org> (with a copy to Lou)
who asked the original question that prompted the responses about political
movies, after I added to Gerry's list Mike Ruppert's 138-minute "The Truth and
Lies of 9-11". I had first sent him the following:

Gerry, you have instigated a fine exchange on marxmail about political
movies, and evidently even a new blog or section for Lou Proyect.

Speaking of which, I have just this morning watched Mike Ruppert's "The
Truth and Lies of 9-11", a 138-minute tape of a speech with power point
he gave at Portland State - maybe you've seen it. Interspersed with
interviews with Barbara Lee, Peter Dale Scott, Cynthia McKinney and
others. Several people had told me about his new book, the 670-odd page
"Crossing the Rubicon: the Decline of the American Empire", saying it was
riveting, powerful, couldn't put it down and so forth [including Sid Shniad
and Karen Wald]. I haven't read it yet.  Someone mentioned that he was
supposed to have some affiliation with Larouche. I don't care about that
(and reading Ruppert's response to David Corn I doubt it) - everything he
puts out appears to be meticulously documented, he offers $1000 to anyone
who can call him on anything he reports, and he editorializes with discretion
and in a way not inconsistent with left views. Anyhow, another suggestion
for you, just to pile on now that you have had all these responses.

This is what I sent to Gerry as followup:

Arguments with myself: thinking about this and starting Ruppert's book,
I had further thoughts: there is with some on the left a view that
speculation about conspiracy of this kind is wasted effort, that this is
the nature of the beast and get on with it. Whether it's coups or
attempted coups as in Cuba, Venezuela and elsewhere, or any other
serious allegations of conspiracy, once you've exposed them, then what?
What conclusions can be drawn that affect the resistance against and
routing of the main adversary, the capitalist system of accumulation and
its agents. Words to that effect.

My response is that to most people this level of activity by their
government is not believable and therefore the level of legitimacy of
corporate and government actors is to this extent undisturbed, unless
the things that Ruppert and others are ferreting out and spreading
around get passed as widely as we can. Especially when they're getting
at the facts, documenting them carefully as Ruppert appears to be doing
and connecting the dots. That thousands and hundreds of thousands are
dying in these wars for reasons which if known to most people in the US
would be, we have to assume, unacceptable says that Ruppert is doing a
hell of a service to us all. It's obviously not enough but it might
help. And things aren't otherwise going too well on the left.

Ralph