[Marxism] ChevronTexaco and its academic whores

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 6 14:01:51 MDT 2005

At last, shared interests are producing signs of cooperation between two
warring forces in our society, business and environmentalists. On the one
hand, bad environmental policies are ultimately disastrous for businesses
and their employees. On the other hand, conservationists can't make the
environment healthy without the help of businesses.

As an environmentalist (a director of World Wildlife Fund), I have mostly
been in the position of blaming businesses for bad things. However, any
habitual blamer also incurs an obligation to give praise where praise is
due. Last year, I found that opportunity in an unexpected location, the big
Kikori oil field of Papua New Guinea, managed by Chevron.

Although Chevron had enlisted World Wildlife Fund as partner to advise on
environmental issues, I expected to see a mess. Instead, I was astonished
as soon as I arrived. Flying over, I couldn't see oil wells, because almost
the whole area retains its original cover of rain forest.

(The New York Times, January 8, 2000

===

Chronicle of Higher Education, Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Scientists Denounce Tactics of Texaco and Its Academic Consultants in
Ecuadorean Oil Dispute
By LILA GUTERMAN

Fifty scientists have sent a letter to a journal of environmental and
occupational health to decry the behavior of other researchers who have
acted as consultants to ChevronTexaco in a dispute over oil drilling in
Ecuador. The consultants were quoted in newspaper advertisements and on
Texaco's Web site during a legal battle between the oil company and
residents of the South American country.

Texaco drilled in the Ecuadorean Amazon from 1964 to 1992, and residents
have sued the company in Ecuador's courts, saying that the pollution left
behind has caused cancer and other illnesses, spoiled the environment, and
destabilized communities. They argue that the oil company, which in 2001
merged with Chevron, should pay $6-billion to clean up the mess.

But ChevronTexaco insists that the pollution is not nearly as widespread as
claimed, and that other factors are likely to have caused the health
problems. Backing up those assertions are reports produced for the company
by six scientists whom the oil company hired as consultants, including
faculty members at Boston University, the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, and the University of Texas School of Public Health.

Other scientists cried foul when quotations from the consultants' reports
appeared in February on Texaco's Web site and, they say, in full-page
advertisements in newspapers in Ecuador. The online statements criticize
earlier studies, some of them published in the scientific literature, that
showed connections between oil pollution and disease. The Web site, for
instance, quotes Lowell E. Sever, a professor of epidemiology at Texas, as
saying, "There is little or no evidence that would support a causal
relationship between oil contamination and health effects."

The upset scientists are striking back with a letter to the editor of the
International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, a quarterly
peer-reviewed journal. In the letter, which is scheduled to appear in June,
they call Texaco's advertisements "a blatant effort by the company to sway
public opinion as the legal case was being heard." The 50 signers of the
letter, most of them academics, work in 17 countries on five continents.

Their concern extends to the actions of Texaco's consultants. In the
letter, the researchers respond to some of Texaco's scientific criticisms
and assert that "the place to air legitimate scientific concerns about the
quality of published research is in the research literature itself."

"The original authors then have the opportunity to respond to the critiques
in an environment of open scientific dialogue and scrutiny by scientists
internationally," the letter says.

Several of the letter's signers told The Chronicle that they objected to
the academic scientists' lending their prestige to Texaco -- "epidemiology
for sale," according to Arthur L. Frank, a professor and chairman of the
department of environmental and occupational health at Drexel University.
"Why didn't they publish differing science and let the scientific community
critique it?" he asked.

Joseph LaDou, the journal's editor, said he was happy to throw a spotlight
on the consultants' practices. "What I thought was significant about this
letter was the broad international signatures that it elicited," said Dr.
LaDou, who is director of the International Center for Occupational
Medicine at the University of California at San Francisco.

"The scientific community," he went on, "is getting a little bit impatient
with these hired guns who are willing to have quote after quote of
criticism of the scientific literature appear in corporate-sponsored Web
sites, while at the same time ignoring a scientific process that reviews
articles and generates scientific truth."

Dr. LaDou said he was impressed enough that he signed the letter as well.

But Kenneth J. Rothman, a part-time professor of epidemiology at Boston
University and a consultant who helped write one of the reports for Texaco,
disputed the other scientists' concerns. He said that he was unaware of the
newspaper and Web-site quotations and that Texaco had put no pressure on
him to conform to its interests when he reviewed studies purporting to link
oil pollution to cancer in Ecuador.

"This is just scientific criticism," Mr. Rothman said. "I have often been
asked for opinions and given opinions that were inimical to the interests
of the person who hired me. It's happened many times. I have more to lose
if I would give a biased report than I would have to gain if I did
something that pleased the sponsor."

But Colin L. Soskolne, one of the signers of the letter and a professor of
epidemiology at the University of Alberta, in Canada, called consulting
work such as Mr. Rothman's "very distressing." He said that environmental
epidemiology must be considered in the context of the field's mission:
protecting public health. When deciding whether to conduct a study or
criticize another, Mr. Soskolne said, "we need to think, How do we make
sure that the consequences of even asking the question and doing the study
will not cause more harm than good? I'm afraid that many of us lose sight
of that."

--

www.marxmail.org