[Marxism] Re: Taiwanese Independence Movement Progressive?

Richard Fidler rfidler at cyberus.ca
Thu Apr 7 06:45:17 MDT 2005

Tony Lawless asked:

But just for the sake of argument: what is the scholarship you are
reading

on the issue of Taiwan? What evidence is there for the claims you are

making?

Reply:

Tony, I am just leaving town and won’t be near a computer for the next
three days, but while I’m away you might consult some of the texts that
figured in a discussion on this topic just a few weeks ago:

Standoff in Taiwan (Perry Anderson)

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n11/ande01_.html

Taiwan: Towards independence? (Eva Cheng)

http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/1996/234/234p19.htm

Tensions in Taiwan (HOU HSIAO-HSIEN, CHU TIEN-HSIN, TANG NUO, HSIA
CHU-JOE)

http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR28.shtml

Anti-Secession Law Adopted by NPC (Full Text)

http://taiwansecurity.org/News/2005/CD-140305.htm

Official Kuomintang delegation visits mainland China

http://www.asianews.it/view_p.php?l=en&art=2907

I’ve added a few texts, above. Not all would qualify as "scholarship"
but I think you’ll find them of interest. In addition, you might want to
consult the Marxmail archives for early March of this year, where you
can find some exchanges involving Fred Feldman, Michael Karadjis and me
on this topic. It sort of petered out when Fred (uncharacteristically)
lost his temper, but no doubt will resume at some point.... And yes, if
you can locate some decent scholarship on the issue, please let us know.
None of us here is particularly well informed at this point, but it does
merit some research.

Richard