[Marxism] What George Bush doesn't listen to on his iPod

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 07:19:39 MDT 2005

Bush's iPod Reveals Music Tastes

George W Bush is a fan of country music and classic rock, but he also
likes "a little bit of hard core and honky tonk", his iPod playlist
suggests. His 250 songs include country greats George Jones and Alan
Jackson, but also My Sharona by the Knack.

Mr Bush has an aide download music for him and listens to it while
mountain biking, the New York Times reported. Rolling Stone journalist
Joe Levy called the playlist "feel-good music. The Sex Pistols it's
not. . . . It's safe, it's reliable, it's loving," Mr Levy said.

"One thing that's interesting is that the president likes artists who
don't like him," he added.

That group includes former Credence (sic) Clearwater Revival singer
John Fogerty, whose baseball anthem Centerfield is on the iPod. CCR's
anti-Vietnam war song Fortunate Son is not, Mr Bush's cycling partner
Mark McKinnon said.

[We may also assume that Bush doesn't listen to Mr. Greed or I Saw it
on TV, both of which are also on the Centerfield album. Fogerty's
latest album, while appealing, lacks the hard drive of the Creedence
days. However, the title song about the war in Iraq from Deja Vu All
Over Again comes close.]

from Brian Shannon

FORTUNATE SON

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they’re red, white and blue.
And when the band plays hail to the chief,
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, lord,

It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no senator’s son, son.
It ain’t me, it ain’t me; I ain’t no fortunate one, no,

Yeah!
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don’t they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no millionaire’s son, no.
It ain’t me, it ain’t me; I ain’t no fortunate one, no.

Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
Ooh, they send you down to war, lord,
And when you ask them, how much should we give?
Ooh, they only answer more! more! more! yoh,

It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no military son, son.
It ain’t me, it ain’t me; I ain’t no fortunate one, one.

It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate one, no no no,
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate son, no no no,

MR. GREED

Mr. greed, why you got to own everything that you see?
Mr. greed, why you put a chain on everybody livin' free?
You're hungerin' for his house, you're hungerin' for his wife,
And your appetite will never be denied.
You're a devil of consumption; i hope you choke, mr. greed.

How do you get away with robbin'? did your mother teach you how?
I hear you got away with murder, did you do your mama proud?

Mr. greed, why you got to take more than you can ever use?
Bring 'em to their knees; isn't it enough just to win while they lose?
You bring no honor to the game, you feast upon the blood and pain,
But the bones you hoard can only bring you shame.
There's corruption in your path, be that your epitaph, mr. greed.

I SAW IT ON TV

They sent us home to watch the show comin’ on the little screen;
A man named ike was in the white house, big black limousine;
There were many shows to follow, from ’hooter’ to ’doodyville’,
Though I saw them all, I can’t recall which cartoon was real.

The coon-skin caps, yankee bats, the "hound dog" man’s big start;
The a-bomb fears, annette had ears, I lusted in my heart.
A young man from boston set sail the new frontier,
And we watched the dream dead-end in dallas,
They buried innocence that year.

I know it’s true, oh so true, ’cause I saw it on tv.

We gathered round to hear the sound comin’ on the little screen,
The grief had passed, the old men laughed, and all the girls screamed
’cause four guys from england took us all by the hand,
It was time to laugh, time to sing, time to join the band.

But all too soon, we hit the moon, and covered up the sky;
They built their bombs, and aimed their guns, and still I don’t know why
The dominoes tumbled and big business roared;
Every night at six, they showed the pictures and counted up the score.

I know it’s true, oh so true, ’cause I saw it on tv.

The old man rocks among his dreams, a prisoner of the porch;
"the light," he says "at the end of the tunnel,
Was nothin’ but a burglar’s torch."
And them that was caught in the cover are all rich and free,
But they chained my mind to an endless tomb
When they took my only son from me.

I know it’s true, oh so true, ’cause I saw it on tv.
I know it’s true, oh so true, ’cause I saw it on tv.

DE JA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Did you try to read the writing on the wall
Did that voice inside you say I've heard it all before
It's like Deja Vu all over again

Day by day I hear the voices rising
Started with a whisper like it did before
Day by day we count the dead and dying
Ship the bodies home while the networks all keep score

Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Could your eyes believe the writing on the wall
Did that voice inside you say I've heard it all before
It's like Deja Vu all over again

One by one I see the old ghosts rising
Stumblin' 'cross Big Muddy
Where the light gets dim
Day after day another Momma's crying
She's lost her precious child
To a war that has no end

Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Did you stop to read the writing at The Wall
Did that voice inside you say
I've seen this all before