[Marxism] Comment on Barry Sheppard's book on the SWP in the 1960s

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 22:30:37 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Feldman" <ffeldman at bellatlantic.net>

> But no single political group had as big a piece of it as
> the SWP at that time. That is my firm conviction.

Still unrepentantly sectarian aren't we? The BPP, to name one, was running
circles around the SWP. The PLP (as PLM) did the first demo against the
Vietnam War back when the SWP was infighting over Cuba. The CPUSA was key in
leading the fellow travellers into the Civil Rigths Movement, and in a
moment of ludicrous self-agradizing, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr,
mobilized millions upon millions of black people in an exercise of
self-determination and self-liberation that is still ongoing to this day
(and has had unexpected results, such as Colin Powell.)

The SWP was indeed important, certainly more important, at least
quantitatively than Clark Kissinger or Bernadine Dorhn. But not a chance in
hell that it was more important than the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr or
Stokely Carmichael.

And then you people try to tell me that white skin privelege doesn't exist.
Even the less important but no less self-important B. Dorhn recognized as
much.

Now, I might be taking it too personal, making a storm in a water cup, but I
felt your comment was to white for my taste.

sks