[Marxism] Joining the "Hitlerjugend"

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sun Apr 24 03:54:00 MDT 2005

   Watching the inaugural mass for the new pope, Benedict XVI, on TV,
brings me back to the reproaches made to him for the fact that he
joined the "Hitlerjugend" (Hitler Youth), when it was made compulsory.

   While I see as much more important the fact that the young
Ratzinger deserted from the Wehrmacht in 1944, there is one more
thought I want to add.

   Thinking about possibilities of doing underground communist work in
the situation of such a ruthless dictatorship as the Nazi rule over
Germany, I do not see any _principle_ which would preclude also to go
into such a youth organization, when that is a useful venue to reach
young workers.

   If we would boycott the fascist organizations or use them from the
inside would be a tactical decision.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
/------------ L.WILLMS at jpberlin.de --
/------------ Lueko.Willms at T-Online.de      -- "Get PGP Key" im Betreff

PS:
Before anybody distorts my remark, no I do not think that Joseph
Ratzinger did join the "Hitlerjugend" to make communist work.