[Marxism] Jim DeFede: "Posada puts White House in a quandary"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 11:09:47 MDT 2005

(This is an outstanding column which should be given as
wide a circulation as possible. Particularly because of
the extraordinary revelation contained here that Miami's
FBI chief isn't even LOOKING for Luis Posada Carriles.

(It's essential as well to show the linkage between the
Posada case and the administration's attitude toward it
and the Bolton nomination and the struggle over that as
they both reflect the profoundly malevolent and deeply
destrictive role which the wealthy rightist minority of
the Cuban exile militants plays in the foreign policy
of the United States of America. During the struggle to
free Elian Gonzalez so he could return to live with his
father and parents in Cuba, the US public began to get
an idea of the implications of these policies are for
ordinary people in the United States. More recently in
the case of Terri Schiavo, we saw the same thing and so
it seems some people are beginning to see the deathly
implications of Bush's policies as they unfold in real
life and affect real people. That is what began during
the Elian struggle, and is begging to happen now since
the Schiavo case. I'm convinced that is a good part of
the reason why even some of the Senate Republicans have
now begun to take some distance from the approval of
John Bolton to be the US representative to the UN.)

MIAMI HERALD
Posted on Tue, Apr. 26, 2005

COMMENTARY | JIM DEFEDE

Posada puts White House in a quandary

My Aunt Anna was a large woman. She was my grandmother's
sister, and when I was a child and she came to visit, she
would grab me and lock me in a bear hug. The more I would
squirm and try to pull away, the tighter she would squeeze
until I was completely enveloped in flabby folds of her
Jean Nate-soaked body.

Gasping for air, I would strain my head and neck backward
away from her all-encompassing bosom, desperately searching
for air.

And that's when it would happen.

Aunt Anna would plant a sloppy, wet kiss on my cheek -- her
lips locking onto my face like an octopus -- before finally
releasing me to run off in horror. Like a miniature Lady
Macbeth, I would spend the next 20 minutes rubbing the
saliva, rye whiskey and lipstick from my cheek -- never
satisfied that I had wiped it all away.

It wasn't just me. Every child in the family faced this
same fate whenever Anna walked into a room. And so it was
with great dread that all the children greeted a visit by
her. We wished she would just stay away.

Which brings me to Luis Posada.

George W. Bush wants to see Posada in the United States
about as much as I wanted my Aunt Anna to show up to one of
my birthday parties with all of my friends around.

WHERE IS HE?

Posada can do nothing but embarrass Bush.

Posada has already embarrassed local law enforcement; after
all, how good is our homeland security network when a
suspected terrorist can enter the country so easily? Even
worse, how is it possible that he has been here for a month
and hasn't been arrested or detained? Does anyone with a
badge even know where Posada is right now? Or is it beyond
their abilities to track down an old man?

''If he is here illegally,'' FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela
said Monday, ``it's not something the FBI would have
jurisdiction on.''

Orihuela said there is no warrant seeking Posada's arrest.

Apparently, Posada will have to blow up something here in
Miami before anyone will take notice.

Here in South Florida, we see this as an interesting story
involving only Cuba.

That's a mistake.

Posada's request for political asylum is a much bigger
international story, one that could affect how this country
prosecutes the war in Iraq.

TAKING CREDIT

On numerous occasions, Posada has taken credit for a series
of hotel bombings in Havana, one of which killed an Italian
tourist, Fabio di Celmo, in 1997. Posada later denied his
involvement in the bombings, but his recantation was never
as persuasive as his confessions.

How do you think the Italian government is going to react
if the United States grants political asylum -- or even
considers political asylum -- to the man responsible for di
Celmo's murder?

More important, how do you think the Italian media and the
Italian people are going to respond once they realize what
is happening?

Relations between the United States and Italy have been
strained since U.S. troops accidentally killed an Italian
security agent and wounded an Italian journalist as they
were driving earlier this year to the Baghdad airport.

If Bush granted Posada asylum, it would increase the
pressure on Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to
withdraw his troops from Iraq.

But Bush also doesn't want to throw Posada in jail or
deport him to stand trial in another country. Even though
most Cuban exiles dismiss Posada as a failed relic, the
White House would still be reluctant to do anything that
might cause even the slightest backlash in Miami.

Which is why I'm betting the White House and others are
quietly trying to send the message to the 77-year-old
Posada to disappear -- don't press a case for asylum, don't
allow yourself to be seen on American soil, just go back to
wherever you were hiding in Latin America and die quietly.

If only Aunt Anna had followed the same advice.