[Marxism] CSpan to look at 9-11

Gitchee Gumee gitcheegumee at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 05:47:27 MDT 2005

An event (in Madison, Wis.) was brought to the attention (of the list) about two
weeks ago, by Intense Red, consisting of a talk by Professor David Ray Griffin,
of Claremont College, in Claremont (L.A.), Calif.

Griffin is author of two books, both published by Interlink Press (in
Northampton, Mass.), of which the first was entitled, "The New Pearl Harbor:
Disturbing Questions about the Bush Administration and 9/11," at:

     <http://www.interlinkbooks.com/BooksN/New_Pearl_Harbor.html>;

and, of which the second was titled, "The 9/11 Commission Report:  Omissions and
Distortions," at:

     <http://www.interlinkbooks.com/Books_/911CommRep.html>.

Griffin's talk in Madison on Monday, April 18th (in Bascom Hall at UW), was
recorded by C-SPAN, though (sadly, unlike C-SPAN's live broadcast of Ward
Churchill's Feb. 8th talk in Boulder), was not broadcast live.

They scheduled their broadcast of this event, for this morning, Saturday, April
30th, at [approx.] 10:30 AM (EST), during Brian Lamb's program on C-SPAN 2,
which, on Dish Network's Program Guide for C-SPAN 2 (Ch. 212), is identified
only, as "Book TV:  Book Events."

This should be very well worth watching.

     <http://www.booktv.org/schedule/>;

     <http://www.booktv.org/General/index.asp?segID=5677&schedID=343>.

["Political Analyst"] Kevin Phillips is quoted as having referred to David Ray
Griffin as, "...the man [who] ....will 'take down' the Bush Administration..."
Now, would that he could...  wouldn’t that be nice?

Intense Red should feel neither reticent nor, less still, apprehensive, toward
any [imaginary] prospect of a "penalty" due him, for, as he put it, nothing more
than "...bringing up 9-11 again."

Ditto, as re. his disavowal, that "...it won't be a Marxist analysis," which is
way too unnecessarily defensive, and, moreover, essentially irrelevant as weighed
against the profound significance of Griffin's presentation, and ditto, again,
re. the fact that (even for an atheist like myself) the fields which he's taught,
at Claremont College, in L.A., are Theology and the Philosophy of Religion.

The strength of his approach is, precisely, that he presumes nor pretends to have
all the answers, as to What Really Happened on 9-11; rather, he's excellent in
articulating the *questions* which must be asked, but which have remained both
un-answered, and more importantly, unresolved, by all the "official"
pronouncements, encompassing (at least) to the 9-11 Commission Report, and the
other reports from both the Senate Select Committee on (so-called)
"Intelligence," and, the House Permanent Select Committee on (so-called)
"Intelligence" (as well as to their Joint Inquiries).

"...Why has there been no physical evidence a jet plane crashed into the
Pentagon?  Independent onlookers say they saw a missile fly into the building.
Video evidence shot by a nearby gas station's security cameras was confiscated by
government officials.

Why did Bush, despite knowing about first one, then two, World Trade Center
crashes, delay his response to them for up to 30 minutes and instead continue to
read a children's book?  Why was he not whisked away by his security agents, who
are trained to believe he's a logical target of terrorists?..."

A theologian asks the hard questions about 9/11:

A soft-spoken professor of religion risks a hard-earned reputation as a scholar
to write one of the most incredible political books of the year

Vancouver Sun Saturday, December 11, 2004

By Douglas Todd

David Ray Griffin is one of the most respected philosophers of religion in North
America. He is the author or editor of more than 24 academic books, including
works co-written with the deans of world religions, Huston Smith and Martin
Marty.  He has lectured around the world, including at UBC.

Griffin is one of those profiled in the prestigious volume, A Handbook of
Christian Theologians. He's painstakingly probed countless philosophical
challenges, from the question of why there is evil to the relationship between
science and religion, for which he's won numerous awards.

So why did this soft-spoken professor from the high-ranking Methodist-rooted
School of Theology at Claremont, Calif., feel it necessary to risk his
hard-earned reputation as a religion scholar to write one of the most incredible
-- in all senses of the word -- political books of 2004?

Because no one else in mainstream America seemed prepared to do it...

The result? Griffin's book, The New Pearl Harbor:  Disturbing Questions About the
Bush Administration and 9/11 (Interlink Publishing, $22.50) has already sold an
astonishing 80,000 copies.

Griffin's unflinching analysis of the unanswered questions surrounding the Sept.
11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and Washington has made Amazon.com's
bestseller list despite receiving virtually no reviews in North America's
mainstream media.  That's unlike in Britain, where he's had solid coverage,
including a three-page spread in London's mass-circulation Daily Mail.

Personally, when people ask how a group of Muslim extremists could have pulled
off the devastating suicide attacks against the U.S., in spite of the country's
global intelligence network and massive defense arsenal, I tend to side with the
German philosopher, Goethe, who once said: "Why look for conspiracy when
stupidity can explain so much?"

But when Griffin, who's known for his careful approach to philosophical problems,
poses a series of questions suggesting the administration of George W. Bush had
been warned about the terrorist attacks and did nothing, it's enough to make you
shudder.  The implications would make the Watergate scandal look like a Sunday
brunch.

In effect, The New Pearl Harbor fleshes out in 214 pages the question asked in
the final moment of Michael Moore's Academy-award-winning documentary, Fahrenheit
911.  That's when the filmmaker wonders aloud:  What exactly was Bush thinking as
he sat in front of a bunch of school children reading a book titled My Pet Goat,
knowing two jetliners had been flown into the World Trade Center?

Griffin's book is titled The New Pearl Harbor for two reasons.  One, because
that's what Bush wrote in his diary on the evening of Sept. 11:  "The Pearl
Harbor of the 21st century took place today."  But also because members of the
Bush administration in 2000 helped author the document, Project for the New
American Century, which opined it would be difficult to galvanize Americans to
support military expansion in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere unless a "new Pearl
Harbor" occurred.

Some of the questions that Griffin looks into:

* Why did the Bush administration say it didn't anticipate the Sept. 11 attacks
when the CIA and FBI had repeatedly told it al-Qaida was planning to hijack
planes and fly them into U.S. targets, including the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon?

* Why were standard procedures that could have prevented the tragedy not followed
when the four hijacked planes went off course, including immediately sending up
jet fighters to shoot down passenger planes that fail to obey orders?

* Why has there been no physical evidence a jet plane crashed into the Pentagon?
Independent onlookers say they saw a missile fly into the building.  Video
evidence shot by a nearby gas station's security cameras was confiscated by
government officials.

* Why did Bush, despite knowing about first one, then two, World Trade Center
crashes, delay his response to them for up to 30 minutes and instead continue to
read a children's book?  Why was he not whisked away by his security agents, who
are trained to believe he's a logical target of terrorists?

* Who made tens of millions of dollars by betting on the stock market in the
weeks before Sept. 11 that shares in the two airlines that owned the hijacked
planes were about to plummet?

The Bush administration has brushed off all such questions.  For his part,
Griffin doesn't argue the Bush administration was actually complicit in the
attacks.  Some of the professor's fans have regretted his cautiousness, because
he won't compile a grand theory about why the attacks may have been allowed to
happen.  He consistently avoids inflammatory rhetoric.

Griffin, however, has clearly shown the gross inadequacies of the 9/11
Commission, which the Bush administration demanded be restricted to looking only
at how to stop another terrorist assault.

Griffin's supporters, including top Christian theologians, say he achieved his
key goal, which was to provide an overwhelming body of evidence to show it's
necessary to conduct a thorough probe into how the attacks happened in the first
place.

In the past month, Harper's Magazine and the New York Times have tentatively
started to catch up with Griffin's questions.  Harper's, for instance, published
a cover feature titled, "Whitewash as public service:  How the 9/11 Commission
Report defrauds the nation, "by Benjamin DeMott, which also asks whether it was
sheer incompetence or something else that made the attacks possible.

For his part, Griffin says he's been overwhelmed by the positive responses he's
received to his book, which has sold 50,000 copies in the U.S. almost solely by
word of mouth.  In an e-mail interview, Griffin said he's only received about a
dozen denunciations.  Many families of those who died in the World Trade Center
attack are among his supporters.  Two of his many high-placed admirers are
Canadians; former Liberal defense minister Paul Hellyer and Michael Chossudovsky
of the University of Ottawa.

Griffin continues to believe the religious and philosophical questions he's
devoted his career to answering are important, but, as a Christian, he feels a
more urgent need to take on the geo-political developments that have elevated the
planet onto high alert.  Two weeks ago he released a follow-up book with the same
publisher, titled The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions and Distortions.

This message emanates

     from the "...shores of Gitchee Gumee,
     by the shining Big-Sea water,"

     <gitcheegumee at earthlink.net>