Glasgow Rangers was: Re: [Marxism] Mr. Louis Godena's racist etc

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Mon Aug 1 06:24:22 MDT 2005

Ben C wrote:

<snip>

> One of the stranger accomnodations to anti-immigrant racism is the
> British left bovver boys of Red Action (www.redaction.org) who appear to
> be the main driving force behind the Independent Working Class
> Association which has a number of councillors elected here and there.
> Especially strange considering their main recreational activity seems to
> be picking fights with neo-nazis and Glasgow Rangers fans (I've never
> been to the UK--are Rangers fans and nazis the same thing?).

Not quite. To undestand this you have to know something of teh religious
sectarian politics of Glasgow. There are two main football (soccer, for
Americans on this list) in Glasgow, Glasgow Celtic, whose traditional
supporter base comes from the Catholic working class (largely of Irish
immigrant origin) and Glasgow Rangers, whose traditional supporter base
comes from the Protestant working class - indeed for many years Rangers
boasted taht it had never ever had a Catholic player on the team.

Celtic supporters have also traditionally been supporters of the
Republican movement in Ireland - an extensive repertoire of Republican
songs is added to the traditional chants by the supporters. Rangers
supporters have, on the other hand, tended to support the Ulster
Loyalists. In this they have some points of contact with British Nazis
since there are ideological similarities, e.g. an ideology of racial
superiority, a tendency towards mindless violence etc. but the
differences are also important, e.g. among Loyalists there is no
particular love for Hitler.

Red Action have always had a soft spot for Irish Republicanism and most
of them would identify strongly with Celtic fans against the traditional
enemy, Rangers fans.

Einde O'Callaghan