[Marxism] Marxism Digest, Vol 21, Issue 101

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Aug 1 08:45:30 MDT 2005

Mike Friedman :

My problem with Diamond is his reductionist view of human history and his
shilling for a "kinder, gentler" imperialism, but the malaria question is
understandable if you realize Diamond is talking about two things. One is
the geographical factor. I don't know how generalizable that is, because
African peoples also inhabited lowland, riparian and rainforest areas. The
other factor is genetic. Remember your Mendelian genetics?
Homozygous,heterozygous traits? The defective gene that causes lethal sickle
cell
disease in the homozygous form confers immunity against malaria in the
heterozygous form. It is one of the few traits that actually obeys a
one-gene-one trait causality. And the gene emerged and became widespread
precisely in the areas of Africa affected by malaria.

Mike

^^^^^

CB: Anthropologist Frank Livingstone made a wellknown study demonstrating
this.

Livingstone died just this year.