[Marxism] Statement on Self-Determination and Unity intheAntiwar Movement

Bonnie Weinstein giobon at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 16:16:06 MDT 2005

On 8/1/05 11:24 AM, "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I oppose non-US troops fighting the Iraq War for Washington, too, and
> I make that clear for the purpose of political education, but in
> practice that doesn't make much difference.  Can you imagine
> European, Australian, South Korean, and other troops continuing to
> fight the Iraq War _after_ Washington's withdrawal of its troops?
> Not a chance!  This ain't East Timor or the Balkans.

Of course, if the U.S. Genuinely pulled its troops out you would be
correct--no one would continue to fight the war without us. However that is
not the wording of the Woolsey resolution. While it calls for withdrawal of
U.S. Troops, it also calls for the formation of a UN/Arab League occupation
force to take the place of our troops. It is #3 in the Woolsey resolution
demands. This is definitely not antiwar sentiment in my book.

Bonnie