Re: [Marxism] Christianity and African Imperialism Query

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Aug 2 08:33:46 MDT 2005

> Does anyone know the quote (was it from Kwame Nkrumah?) that says
> something
> about how European Christians brough the bible to Africa and taught
> Africans
> to close their eyes and bow down and pray to God. When the Africans then
> opened their eyes, all of their land was gone.

Jomo Kenyatta, not Kwame Nkrumah:

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the land and the
missionaries had the Bible. They taught us to pray with our eyes closed.
When we opened our eyes, they had the land and we had the Bible,"

quoted e.g. here:

http://www.workers.org/2005/world/mau-mau-0317/