[Marxism] Guantanamo a 'disgrace,' says Carter

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 09:36:00 MDT 2005

(Powerful declaration by the former President of the United
States of America. His political and moral stature is once
again enhanced by his outspoken statement on Guantanamo.
Coming during news of Bolton's recess appointment to be the
US representative to the United Nations, Carter's statement
is timely. Washington is trying to further cripple the UN by
what it calls "reforming" the world body. "Deforming" would
be a better term since US policy is to use the UN mostly to
obtain political cover for its unilateral wars and occupations.

(Carter's voice on this issue makes international as well as
domestic discussion of this issue more relevant and more
legitimate and helps demonstrate where the real human rights
abuses in Cuba are actually happening, in the US-occuppied
portion of the island. Should be very widely circulated as
we mobilize for the September 24th anti-war demonstrations:

("I thought then and I think now that the invasion of Iraq
was unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on
which it was launched were false," Jimmy Carter declared.)

(Note also the excellent survey of conditions in Guantanamo
as well as other useful links embedded in this story.
Also useful to refer readers on this is the Guantanamo HRC:
http://www.guantanamohrc.org/ intiated by Vanessa Redgrave.)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z1D732A8B

Guantanamo a 'disgrace,' says Carter
Last Updated Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:52:12 EDT
CBC News

INDEPTH: GUANTANAMO
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/guantanamo/

Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter has called the holding
of terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba a shameful act
that extremists use to justify their attacks on the West.

Carter, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, also said
the Iraq war was "unnecessary and unjust" in comments this
weekend at the Baptist World Alliance centenary conference
in Birmingham, England.

"I think what's going on in Guantanamo Bay and other places
is a disgrace to the U.S.A.," he told reporters.

"I wouldn't say it's the cause of terrorism, but it has
given impetus and excuses to potential terrorists to lash
out at our country and justify their despicable acts," he
added.

* FROM JULY 22, 2005: Hunger strike confirmed at Guantanamo
<http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/national/2005/07/22/Guantanamo-Bay-protest-050
722.html>

The U.S. has indefinitely detained hundreds of terror
suspects without charging them or providing lawyers at its
Guantanamo Bay naval base on the Caribbean island.

"What has happened at Guantanamo Bay ... does not represent
the will of the American people," Carter said. "I'm
embarrassed about it, I think it's wrong."

Carter, president from 1977 to 1981, has criticized the
Iraq war since it began more than two years ago.

"I thought then and I think now that the invasion of Iraq
was unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on
which it was launched were false," he said.

* FROM MAY 25, 2005: Amnesty likens Guantanamo Bay to 'gulag'
<http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/national/2005/07/22/Guantanamo-Bay-protest-050
722.html>

Almost 13,000 delegates to the Baptist World Alliance
celebrated its founding in London in 1905. The alliance,
comprising some 200 Baptist unions, moved its headquarters
to the United States in 1947.

Copyright C2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All
Rights Reserved