[Marxism] Bolivian minister resigns over remarks

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 11:45:20 MDT 2005

(Evo Morales' campaign has barely begun and already it's
scored an important victory over the Bolivian regime. If
You didn't read his campaign announcement, here it is:
it looks like we may have more than one reason to celebrate
this Christmas! Viva Evo Morales. Viva el MAS!)

<http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/08/02/bolivia.minister.ap/index.html
?section=cnn_latest>

Bolivian minister resigns over remarks

Tuesday, August 2, 2005; Posted: 9:01 a.m. EDT (13:01 GMT)

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) -- Bolivia's Finance Minister Luis
Carlos Jemio resigned amid a controversy over remarks he
made in Washington about alleged ties between opposition
leader Evo Morales and the leaders of Cuba and Venezuela.

"Viewing the number of reactions that my comments in the
United States have produced in the country, I have decided
to submit my resignation to the president," Jemio said late
Monday.

In a communique read by Jemio himself, the Finance Ministry
denied opposition claims that Jemio had discussed Bolivia's
domestic politics or referred to some Bolivian political
leaders in his speech Friday at the Center for
International and Strategic Studies in Washington.

Jemio said in Washington that "there is talk in Bolivia of
three types of foreign interference" in Bolivian politics,
adding that one of them was the alleged connection between
Morales and Presidents Fidel Castro of Cuba and Hugo Chavez
of Venezuela.

But he added that there was no proof of the reports on such
a connection.

Morales, a top opposition leader and candidate for
president in the election set for December 4, angrily
criticized Jemio's comments.

The leftist Morales, an Aymara Indian who is also the
leader of Bolivia's coca growers, was a key figure in the
massive protests that forced the resignation of President
Carlos Mesa last month and opened the way for early
presidential elections in December.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights
reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten, or redistributed.