[Marxism] Anthony McIntyre on IRA disarmament

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 2 17:36:35 MDT 2005

Walter:
>As yet, we've only read the denunciamentos, but
>nothing in the way of an alternative political
>strategy to win what the military campaign didn't.

Walter, I am not sure that you are aware that Irish subscribers to Marxmail
have argued alternative political strategies in copious detail. A number of
them identify with the very fine online journal called "The Blanket" that
contains trenchant critiques of the IRA and Sinn Fein. For example:
http://lark.phoblacht.net/mccannreview.html

One of our Irish comrades is James Daly, a philosophy professor, whose wife
was gunned down by the British army during the armed struggle. We are not
talking about people kibbitzing from afar when we read his posts. Just go
to the Marxmail archives and do a search on his name. You'll learn a lot.

>They simply were in a blind alley and had to make
>a change of tactics.

Walter, do you delete everything I post without reading it? How
unfortunate. You might actually learn something. I posted an Independent
article the other day that reported that Gerry Adams had become enamored of
New Labor and sought to develop a similar party in Northern Ireland. This
is not tactics. It is politics. A tactic is using mobile picket lines to
defend a strike. Politics is agreeing that there is no alternative to
capitalism.

>When I was a little kid, I remember the expression
>"Let's you and him fight" which is more or less
>what these articulate critics seem to be saying.

Yes, we are dirty Trotskyite splitters, aren't we now.