[Marxism] Anthony McIntyre on IRA disarmament

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 18:36:30 MDT 2005

Kibitzing from afar is precisely what the
problem is. Far from South Africa, and far
from Bolivia, far from Brazil and far from
reality. Most of the postings which we have
seen on Marxmail are precisely kibitizing
from afar. How far are we talking about here?

Is Louis Proyect is writing from New York City?
Is Phillip Ferguson writing from New Zealand?
Is Danielle Ni Dhighe writing from North America?
That seems to be what one might call "afar".

When someone posts a seven-year old article
and makes no comment on what conclusions one
is supposed to draw from the posting, that is
not how do carry on a discussion. Facts do
remain stubborn things. A tree does make a
noise when it falls in the forest, even if
no one is there to hear the sound it makes.

FACT: McIntyre was correct when he stated:
"I have long come to accept that the IRA
lost its war with the British state."

FACT: The IRA did not win the military fight
to secure British expulsion from Ireland.

FACT: Absent a proposed alternative strategy,
common decency suggests sympathy for those in
the struggle as it actually unfolds in reality.

There's a qualitative difference between tactics
and strategy. Armed struggle can be either one,
a tactic or a strategy. The IRA seems to believe
it must change its STRATEGY: reliance on armed
struggle for another STRATEGY: a peaceful, legal
non-armed struggle. History will determine if
their decision was justified. I'm not going to
make that determination at this time.

FACT: The IRA did not win the military fight
to secure British expulsion from Ireland.

FACT: The IRA did not win the military fight
to secure British expulsion from Ireland.

FACT: McIntyre was correct when he stated:
"I have long come to accept that the IRA
lost its war with the British state."

And on a separate note:

It's hard to disagree when someone paints their
own self-portrait as definitively as this one:

"Yes, we are dirty Trotskyite
splitters, aren't we now."

Walter Lippmann