[Marxism] Steroids for Iraq and ...

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 08:09:36 MDT 2005

"Rafael Palmeiro is a friend. He testified in public and I believe him.
. . . Still do." President Bush statement on October 1 his former
employee and steroid user Rafael Palmeiro.
[For those who don't know about the Palmeiro case, try
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N22153C8B]

"Mr. Bush, who stands nearly 6 feet, usually has his annual checkups in
the summer, but last summer's was postponed until Dec. 11 because of
the campaign. In December, he weighed 199.6 pounds, 8 more than the
191.6 recorded yesterday.

"Mr. Bush's weight has fluctuated since he moved into the White House.
He weighed 194.5 pounds in June 2000, before he became president, then
dropped to 189 in 2001 and 2002. From Aug. 4, 2002 to Dec. 11, 2004, he
gained 10.6 pounds, some of which his doctors attributed to INCREASED
MUSCLE MASS FROM EXERCISE. [my emphasis (:-)]

"After his last physical, Mr. Bush said he wanted to lose weight
because he had eaten too many doughnuts in the campaign. His body fat
is 15.79 percent, down from 18.25 in December.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/politics/31bush.html

STEROID RING ACCUSED OF SUPPLYING U.S. TROOPS BUSTED

ROME - Italian police seized 215,000 doses of prohibited substances as
they smashed a ring that supplied steroids and other
performance-enhancing drugs to customers around the world, including
American soldiers in Iraq, a police official said Monday.

The U.S. military in Iraq had no immediate comment, but THE POPULARITY
OF STEROID ABUSE HAS LONG BEEN DISCUSSED [my emphasis] as American
troops and contractors in Iraq work out in gyms set up in bases and
even in the mirrored halls of one of Saddam Hussein's former palaces.

Joe Donahue, program director for the Vietnam Vets of America
Foundation, who spent 16 months in Iraq - often lifting weights in the
Green Zone gyms - said steroids were on offer for those who wanted
them.

"I had them offered to me by an Iraqi guy who sure as hell looked like
he was using them," Donahue said. "There were guys I'm pretty sure were
juicing, but not a lot of them."

He said a pair of Iraqi bodybuilders known casually as "the large
brothers" sold steroids and other supplements in the Green Zone
building where he worked.

"I can say with no equivocation, I was offered steroids," Donahue told
The Associated Press.

Private security contractors told AP that steroid use also is a problem
among their employees because the drugs are readily available in Iraq -
as easy as buying a soda from the local stores, according to one
contractor.

. . .
The drugs had been ordered over the Internet, and Italian officials
presume some reached their destinations, police said, adding that
steroids were also sent to customers in Europe, North America and
Australia. They estimated the ring may have had as many as 1,000
customers around the world.

Synthetic derivatives of testosterone, ANABOLIC STEROIDS ARE THOUGHT TO
ENHANCE AGGRESSIVENESS.  [my emphasis]

Steroids have serious side effects, encompassing both psychological
disturbance and physical symptoms, such as the development of breasts
in men, baldness and cancer, as well as major depression, mania and
other mood problems.

Every war seems to have its drug of choice. German soldiers were said
to have been given steroids during World War II to make them meaner.
The stress of combat led to use of marijuana by some American soldiers
fighting in Vietnam.

U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan submit to regular drug tests but
are not routinely tested for steroid use, according to a report in the
military newspaper Stars and Stripes.

In Afghanistan, U.S. Col. James Yonts said: "We do not issue steroids
to soldiers for any reason, bodybuilding or whatever, other than for
medical purposes. I'm not aware of any investigation or any problem of
steroid use by soldiers in Afghanistan."

Beefed up U.S. soldiers are a common sight in Iraq, where many work out
using makeshift gym equipment near their sleeping quarters or in
elaborate gyms at large bases such as in Tikrit, north of Baghdad.

Inside one of Saddam Hussein's former palaces on the sprawling Tikrit
base, a mirror-walled gym rivaling many in the West is routinely packed
with heaving soldiers pumping iron on bench presses, arm curls and
other equipment.

Some soldiers have questioned how some of their more rippling fellow
soldiers could have built up such bulk while in a war zone, suggesting
that steroid use may have been taking place. But they had no
independent confirmation to back up their suspicions.

Troops and some contractors receive mail at inexpensive domestic U.S.
postal rates, allowing soldiers to order almost anything online.
Packages mailed from home are one of the chief smuggling routes for
alcohol, which the U.S. military prohibits its soldiers from drinking.
. . .
FULL AT http://makeashorterlink.com/?P30123C8B OR
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050802/WIRE/
208020304/1117/news