[Marxism] re: Marines died from small arms fire

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Thu Aug 4 20:44:33 MDT 2005

 > Anyway, in CQC infantry combat casualty ratios are probably always
 > fairly even. The Marines aren't supermen or anything.

   Shh!  Don't tell them that. :-)

   You're right, and this is something the US military learns again and again.
In infantry combat much of the technological advantage of the US is
nullified.

 > On a related note: why the HELL would you bring an amphibious assault
 > vehicle to a desert?

   Because our Chickenhawk in Chief is doing such a wonderful job managing the
war?!

   Seriously, the armor on those vehicles is weak.  They have to float, and
they're meant for Marines to move from ship to shore, and then to dismount
and fight on foot.  The vehicle is then only a .50 cal platform and big
target.

   For the Marines to be using those as urban combat or convoy/patrol vehicles
is not what they're designed for.  It speaks volumes about the misuse of
forces and Bush/Rumsfeld trying to fight the war on the cheap.

 > The mainstream press ran some reports about insurgents' better IEDs and one
 > of the things mentioned was that,  to overcome the radio jamming the US
 > uses to thwart remote IEDs, the rebels use wires long enough for them to be
 > safely far away from the explision. That doesn't sound very suicidal-like
 > to me.

   I recall one article I read a month or so ago by an ex(?)-Iraqi military
officer.  He made blunt comments which indicated his preference for using
highly-motivated foreign religious volunteers as suicide bomber fodder, and
portrayed the more secular ex-Iraqi army resistance fighers as normal
guerrillas.

   But if you think about it, there's no doubt there are many different types
of fighters.  By now, resistance fighters have had enough time for the "bold
and foolish" to be killed off, and there is a core of fighters which have had
literally years of practice and first-hand combat experience.  To think that
those people would not learn their craft well and adapt their tactics would
be foolhardy.

--
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they
make it easier to do don't need to be done.