[Marxism] Re: Elusive sniper saps U.S. morale in Baghdad

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Sat Aug 6 07:41:54 MDT 2005

Today’s NPR weekend edition has an interview with Mike Heidingsfield,
of the State Department’s civilian police advisory mission. I only
caught part of it, but the issue of U.S. snipers being killed came up
here, too. The interviewer, Scott ??? indicated that he was surprised
that U.S. snipers had been picked off by Iraqi snipers. Heideingsfield
replied that this was a common feature of the war, particularly in
large cities such as Baghdad, which had a lot of abandoned buildings.

Our level of knowledge about small-arms combat is due to the results,
which are probably relatively high in casualties other than death. In
other words, in Iraq it is part of the war consciousness of the
soldier, but it is not part of our awareness as civilians.
_____________

The original sniper article is from The Guardian, which should be
checked out from time to time. It is not exactly mainstream, although
it is certainly an important capitalist paper. I don’t think the
purpose behind the article was to put up a single sniper as a strawman
who, once defeated “the war is won.” (Nick). The article itself says
“Sniper fire is only of the threats for an American military that has
suffered heavy losses this week.”

On the other hand, Nick’s indignation over the failure of the
mainstream press to report ongoing assaults by U.S. and other
“coalition” soldiers against the population is well placed. We all
remember that even the filming of a cold-blooded murder in Fallujah was
worked over again and again by the U.S. media in order to trivialize or
justify the killing. Other evidence of the systematic assault by U.S.
soldiers in Iraq dribbles out only when there is a courts martial due
to particularly egregious and public actions.

I won’t even bother to cite it, but today there was an article on a
U.S. military unit extorting “rent” from some businesses in the Green
Zone.

There are dozens of cases where charges have been brought and the
examining officers decided not to prosecute. Even these are only
revealed when the examining officer is overruled due to the public
exposure and long-range effect on the morale of the unit. We can only
speculate on the number of cases where the examining officer says,
“don’t prosecute” and is not overruled.

And as Nick points out, the overwhelming majority of cases are the
known unknowns, as Rumsfeld might say. Only a fiction writer can
capture the truths in this and any war.

Brian Shannon