[Marxism] Re: Elusive sniper saps U.S. morale in Baghdad

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Sat Aug 6 21:31:21 MDT 2005

Earlier today, there was a problem with the Marxmail site. As a result
I sent this Elusive Sniper thing 3 times. Two of them got through.
However, the third one, which includes some useful information from NPR
did not. The point below, supported by the NPR interview, and in my
original comments on snipers is that there could be a lot of them.

There were also some U.S. Military charges today that the roadside
bombs were coming from Iran, because they would take some tooling and
that couldn't be done in Iraq. Of course, according to the same people,
the Iraqis were able to make sophisticated WMDs. Now the U.S. military
thinks they can’t run a tool shop.

If, as the original sniper article asserted, only one shot at a time is
fired,* those doing the firing could even have produced the equivalent
of 18th and 19th century single shot weapons. They were very accurate
at a great range. Imagine them with a modern eye-piece.
_______________

Today’s NPR weekend edition has an interview with Mike Heidingsfield,
of the State Department’s civilian police advisory mission. I only
caught part of it, but the issue of U.S. snipers being killed came up
here, too. The interviewer, Scott Simon [?] indicated that he was
surprised that U.S. snipers had been picked off by Iraqi snipers.
Heideingsfield replied that this was a common feature of the war,
particularly in large cities such as Baghdad, which had a lot of
abandoned buildings.

SCOTT: The six marines who died earlier this week. A lot of people here
don’t understand how six snipers could all be killed.

MIKE: Death comes in many forms here. We are not the only ones who have
snipers, In fact, Iraq in general and Baghdad in particular, because of
the decaying infrastructure and the enormous number of empty buildings,
essentially provides a snipers perch in virtually every block. So the
insurgents have that capacity. It’s just not limited to us.
_________________

Our level of knowledge about small-arms combat is due to the results,
which are probably relatively high in casualties other than death. In
other words, in Iraq it is part of the war consciousness of the
soldier, but it is not part of our awareness as civilians.

The original sniper article is from The Guardian. It is not exactly
mainstream, although it is certainly an important capitalist paper. I
don’t think the purpose behind the article was to put up a single
sniper as a strawman who, once defeated “the war is won.” [Nick]. The
article itself says “Sniper fire is only of the threats for an American
military that has suffered heavy losses this week.”

On the other hand, Nick’s indignation over the failure of the
mainstream press to report ongoing assaults by U.S. and other
“coalition” soldiers against the population is certainly valid. Even
the filming of a cold-blooded murder in Fallujah was worked over again
and again by the U.S. media in order to trivialize or justify the
killing. Other evidence of the systematic assault by U.S. soldiers in
Iraq dribbles out only when particularly egregious and public actions
lead to an Article 32 investigation or court martial.

I won’t even bother to cite it, but today there was an article on a
U.S. military unit extorting “rent” from some businesses in the Green
Zone.

There are dozens of cases where charges have been brought and the
examining officers decided not to prosecute. Even these are only
revealed when the examining officer is overruled due to the public
exposure and long-range effect on the morale of the unit. We can only
speculate on the number of cases where the examining officer says,
“don’t prosecute” and is not overruled. Of course, under the Gonzalez
memo and military policy, the examining officers may be correct. Any
torture is allowed so long as the intent of the torturer is not to
inflict pain for its own sake. In other words, declare that it is to
get information and you are home free. This is why the Abu Ghraib
“isolated individuals” were prosecuted. They were “funning.” The
torturers and their commanders get Home Free cards.

As Nick points out, the overwhelming majority of cases are the known
unknowns, as Rumsfeld might say. Only a fiction writer can capture the
truths in this and any war.

Brian Shannon

* There is never a follow-up shot, never a chance for US forces to
identify the origin, to make the hunter the hunted. He fires once and
vanishes.
. . .
"Every time we dismount I'm sure everyone has got him [them?] in the
back of their minds. He's a serious threat to us."

Gun attacks occasionally pepper the battalion's foot and mounted
patrols, but the single crack of what is thought to be a Tobuk sniper
rifle inspires particular dread.

Since February, the killing of at least two members of the battalion
and the wounding of six more have been attributed to Juba. Some think
it is also he that has picked off up to a dozen other soldiers.

. . . He has killed from 200 metres away.

. . . The insurgent grapevine celebrates an incident last June when a
four-strong marine scout sniper team was killed in Ramadi, all with
shots to the head.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1542806,00.html