[Marxism] Re: human origins

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 9 11:41:29 MDT 2005

In this context I find it interesting` that Vygotsky and Luria's
ethnological work was so roundly condemned as racist.  It's like Levi-Bruhl,
or even Levi-Strauss for that matter if you accept Sartre's critique of his
"structuralization of history".  The "complex use of language" that Nick
refers to might have been as recent an invention as 300 or 400 years ago, if
we assume that consciousness changes with mode of production.  And that's
what Vygotsky and Luria were saying.  So what we get is not biological
species at all but cultural species that reflect certain powers of the
symbolic medium to . . .  well you can fill in the rest yourself but as a
marxist we would certainly have to say that culture has been formed in class
struggle.   Yes this brings back in "cultural evolution" and all of the
dangerous slippery slopes along that terrain, but as Marxists we also know
that that is a consequence of imperialist relations between modes of
production and has nothing to do with a hierarchy of values.   And it also
makes sense out of this chicken and egg question.

Paul Dillon