[Marxism] WARNING on failure to clip quoted text (don't skip this message)

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Wed Aug 10 09:09:45 MDT 2005

Lou and I decided its time to crack down on the over-quoting of text in
messages.

First, the list rule: we ask that everyone *selectively* quote a post
you are replying to. if you are replying to a post with more than a
paragraph or two of text, use your mouse to select quoted text you are
not responding to, and delete that text. this is what we mean when we
say "PLEASE clip all extraneous text before replying to a message".

Second, the WHY of the rule. There are two reasons:

1. clipping unneeded text can often times greatly reduce the size of a
message and this is important for making manageable the download time
for subscribers behind slow modem lines.

2. it is MUCH EASIER to read a reply if it carefully quotes text.
otherwise one has to fish around for the reply, and this is a waste of
time.

Third, the CONSEQUENCES: for now, i will pick especially egregious cases
and publicly call the rule-breaker to task. a second occurence will get
a one-day suspension from the list.

Fourth: if any subscriber does not know HOW to delete quoted text from
an email reply, contact me offlist, and i will write something up about
using the mouse for selecting-and-deleting text that can be used for
general list consumption.

So that's it, you have the rule, the reason, the consequences, and an
offer of technical help.

Les Schaffer