[Marxism] Communism, anti-German criticism and Israel

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Thu Aug 11 09:09:10 MDT 2005

Joaquín Bustelo wrote:

> Ed writes, "support for Israel is pretty much a consensus position in
> the non-reformist Left, and has been since the mid-90s."
>
> I guess this guy must be some sort of troll, but there is an interesting
> thing to note here. Whatever "non reformist left" this guy is talking
> about, it is not a left that includes third world peoples. The non-white
> revolutionary left is simply disappeared, treated as unpersons.

He's talking about the German left - and it is true that in Germany
there is a great taboo on the left (as in the whole of society) about
condemning Zionism. Most people on the left (particularly in west
Germany) tend to avoid the issue completely. Before the iraq war
Linksruck (along with other activists in Attac) organised a speaking
tour with speakers from Britain, the USA and Italy. All of the foreign
speakers were attacked for anti-semitism (including the American speaker
who herself was Jewish) because they insisted on linking opposition to
the imperialist war in Iraq with the strugle of the Palestinians against
israel. It required a major political struggle to prevent Attac and
several other peace groups pulling out of support for the tour and
(against our wishes) the foreign speakers were asked to tone down their
remarks about Israel.

The debate has moved on a bit since then, but at the Social Forum in
Germany (that's the official name, because calling it the German Social
forum would be a concession to nationalism!!!) a few weeks ago, it
required several protests from the floor to ensure that the final
statement of teh movements contained a message of solidarity with the
Palestinians (it was directly coupled with a condemnation of suicide
bombings!).

The ideas of the Antideutschen, including their rather bizarre
solidarity with Israel and support for Zionism in all its forms, came to
the fore in autonomist circles during the 1990s. I believe this had a
lot to do with the general disorientation of the German left after the
fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Einde O'Callaghan