[Marxism] New Gramsci scholarship?

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 06:02:03 MDT 2005

Buchanan is obviously a stupendous imbecile. There is no doubt in my mind
that dominant corporate culture promotes racism and sexism in a non-too
subtle manner. Black people and women are branded, compartmentalised and
summarily dealt with. The racism and sexism of corporate America promotes
conservative conformity to American societal norms. It is the most
right-wing and patriotic imperialist press that runs the most vulgar and
sexist program. I know Baader-Meinhof placed pornographic images in their
little magazine (amidst essays on Marxism) for sales, but that hardly
compares to Fox News, The Sun or Playboy. The Christians are themselves
responsible for promoting the acsendancy of America's current corporate
overseer Bush (himself a former shareholder in a film company that produced
slasher flicks like The Hitcher). The reason slasher flicks are popular is
as an antidote to the anodine  hypocrisy of America's sugar-sweet corporate
entertanment industries, and are the logical product of the latter's
methodical dehumanising processes. The Christian right and Corporate America
are in a cultural vaccuum together. Charles Manson is as much the poster boy
for 'alternative' America as Che Guevara is for 'conscious' America.

BUCHANAN SAID:

>Especially when you see folks that are cutting off their TVs or throwing
>them out. They're not going to movies; the language is filthy. I think you
>take a look at the popular culture and you can't say we're winning.

(clip)