[Marxism] MODERATOR'S NOTE

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 13 07:45:07 MDT 2005

>I've unsubbed Gary McClellan and Chris Warren for one day for failure to
>clip quoted text. Hopefully after a few rounds of this silliness,
>everyone  will comply with this absurdly simple rule, and we'll be done
>with these ridiculous warnings and reminders.
>
>one of the problems -- i think -- is most people do not read my posts to
>the list. this is not an issue for my own personal posts, but if i am
>going to help Lou with technical matters on list, people need to pay
>attention to tech-related posts. i don't know how to make this happen
>except to create some temporary ruckus like suspensions. even adding
>WARNING to subject lines doesnt seem to help. my apology to the vast
>majority of the posting members of this list who simply comply with the
>few simple rules we try to enforce.
>
>les schaffer

I am fully behind this. We have tried to be accommodating with comrades's
needs. For example, I heeded Patrick Bond's plea to send an entire
newspaper article along because he (and others) did not want to fill out a
form on the paper's site. This increased bandwidth, but at least there is
an argument to be made on its behalf. But the failure to clip a lengthy
post that you are adding a 2 or 3 sentence comment on flies in the face of
good sense. I do think that we have made some progress on this front. There
is little "staircasing" nowadays, largely because offenders did not want to
put up with a private tongue-lashing from me. Les and I put a great deal of
time and effort in making this forum useful. All we ask is a little
attention to detail, no matter how much it goes against our grain.