[Marxism] Query on Churchill & Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 13 14:05:58 MDT 2005

I mentioned England, Iraq, & poison gas on a literture list to which I
subscribe, and got the following request off list: "Carrol---Please
amplify re Winston and the Iraqi "savages" or send me where I can learn.
He shelled Pettigo (my grandfather's birth place) a town divided
geographically ---half free (Donegal) and half occupied (Derry) during
the peace negotiations in the 20's."

Could someone on this list (a) provide a sentence or two of expansion on
the episode and (b) two or three sources for more information that I
could pass on. I've read it in several sources, but I don't remember
either the sources or the details now. (I figure several weeks past my
3/4 century mark I've got a right to spotty memory. :->)

Carrol