[Marxism] IWW and anti-imperialism

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:28:08 MDT 2005

Obviously I was not questioning your knowledge of the I.W.W. generally- I
said that you were overly dismissive of J. Sakai.

Where does Sakai say that the Flint strike in particular was an attempt to
control black workers?

"[It] was the December 1936 Flint, Michigan sit-down strike against GM that
became the pivotal labor battle of the 1930s. Flint was the central fortress
of GM productuon, their special company town where GM carefully kept both
Africans and foreign-born immigrants to a minimum. Wages in the many Flint
GM plants were relatively high for the times... It was obvious that if
General Motors, the strongest corporation in the world, was unable to defeat
the new industrial unions, then a new day had come. Practical advances by
workers in auto, steel, rubber, electronic, maritime, meat-packing, trucking
and so on, proved that this was so" (Sakai, pp. 78-79).

Sakai's work is not 'Platonic'; it is a genuinely 'empirical' attempt to
understand why America is such a racist hole, despite the valiant efforts of
white union militants.

LOUIS PROYECT: