[Marxism] Counter-recruitment

njcpf at icqmail.com njcpf at icqmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:00:59 MDT 2005

Subject: Counter-recruitment

There is a short list of announcements at the end of this e-mail.

The Catholic Peace Fellowship - NJ has prepared this leaflet for
distribution to  people of draft age.  The WORD attachment is the same
as the in-line material.  Feel free to download, copy and distribute.

God bless you!
Stephen J Spiro

THEY WILL BURY YOU IF THEY GET YOU KILLED,

BUT WILL THEY TAKE CARE OF YOU IF YOU GET SICK?

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/11063034.htm

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/11057100.htm

Get some help, Bill Field's parents would tell him.

" 'Bill, go to the VA,' " he said, recalling their words.

It was winter 1952 and Field was home on Long Island from the Korean
War.

He was only 20, but already a battle-hardened infantryman.

Go to the Veterans Administration?

For what? he thought.

"I didn't need it," said the 73-year-old Ellenton resident, who spent 21
years in the military, including the first two in Korea. "I was wounded
in combat, but I wasn't crippled up. I had too many other things to
worry about. My mindset was to get married and raise a family. I was
physically fit to the point where I could do my job with no problems.
But my parents felt one of these days it might become a problem.

"Well, it became a problem."

Six years ago Field began applying to the VA for disability benefits and
received rejection letter after rejection letter.

Sometimes he got no response at all.

Yet he persisted.

"The VA is a federal bureaucracy," said Field, the 2000 Manatee County
Veteran of the Year. "They must have big signs in every office saying,
'Say No. This Guy Will Die.' This is the track record of the U.S.
government toward their veterans. I said to heck with that. I waited a
year and resubmitted it. I got turned down again and I kept resubmitting
it, and this went on and on and on."

The pain in his feet from frostbite suffered in his first Korean winter
wasn't going away. It hurt to march with the honor guard from Kirby
Stewart American Legion Post 24.

So did the tinnitus - ringing in his ears from all the artillery and
gunfire.

Then there was the condition that didn't get a name until Vietnam:
post-traumatic stress syndrome.

"I hadn't noticed it until I got older and got involved in the Korean
War Veterans Association," Field said. "Now I realize what happened and
what we went through. If I start talking about it, I get choked up."

A potato farmer's son in East Hampton, N.Y., Field joined the Army at
18, three days after high school graduation. He wanted to learn how to
run a bulldozer, since Long Island was experiencing a post-World War II
building boom.

"After three years in the Army being taught heavy equipment, I figured
I'd have a job when I got out."

The only equipment Field learned how to operate was a .30-caliber
air-cooled light machine gun.

>From Inchon to the Chosin Reservoir, he saw his share of bloodshed.

Including his own.

Field still has a piece of shrapnel in his back from a Chinese Communist
mortar shell. Doctors chose to leave it since it is imbedded near his
spine.

That didn't sway the VA, either, when he applied for disability nearly
50 years later.

"The first letter I got back? All zeros. Which meant no percentage of
disability on anything," Field said. "They were all service-connected,
too, and I had the paperwork on all of it. I'm not a 'goldbrick.' I
don't go in and cry and moan. But it's guys like me who never ask for
anything and I needed some help."

Especially when he's with the honor guard.

He's present on Memorial Day and Veterans Day and at military funerals.

School flag ceremonies, too.

And, pain or no, he's out there at McKechnie Field for the national
anthem every spring training.

"I have trouble walking and when I get home it's all I can do to get out
of the car," Field said. "I take medication before I go on any of these
things to alleviate the pain. The older you get, the worse it gets."

He hides it well.

For good reason.

"It's patriotism," he said. "A sense of loyalty to my comrades, all the
veterans."

A loyalty Field contends is not reciprocated by the VA.

Two years ago he spoke to a VA official in Tallahassee about his
difficulties.

The man sounded sympathetic.

Field was encouraged, at last.

"He says, 'Send me the stuff, Bill, and I'll see what I can do for you.'
Well, nothing came of it. Never even heard back from him. I called back
a couple of times, talked to somebody else and they said, 'Well, this is
what you've got to do . . .' I thought they were going to help me, but
it was more of the same."

Finally, Field made headway last year.

That's when he took his case to Lee F. Kichen, a state service officer
with the Veteran of Foreign Wars at the Veterans Affairs Regional Office
in St. Petersburg.

"He said, 'You should've gotten this years ago,'" Field recalled. "Then
he said, 'I'm gonna make sure you get something,' and he did. Within six
months I got my disability. That was last November."

A 27-year veteran himself, Kichen said he didn't "get" Field anything.

Kichen was simply able to help Field work through the VA's red tape and
get results.

"The VA is not heartless, but the number of people seeking benefits from
the VA really taxes the system," Kichen said. "What we bring to the
table is expertise - our knowledge of the system, its policies and
procedures. Bill's first time around there were gaps in his paperwork,
but there were ways to fill it . . . in order to satisfy the VA's
requirements under the law. He was entitled to a significant award."

Satisfied? Not Field.

He feels for those injured veterans and their families who be facing the
VA now and in the future.

"The same thing is already happening with people coming back from Iraq,"
Field said. "I'm very disenchanted. Politicians in Washington ask us to
put our lives on the line . . . and they vote for cuts in the VA.
There's something really wrong with this picture. It makes me mad right
to the core."

Vin Mannix is the Herald's local columnist. Please call Vin Mannix at
941-745-7055, write him at The Herald, Box 921, Bradenton, FL 34206, or
send e-mail to vmannix at HeraldToday.com.  Please include a phone number
for verification.

************************************

Distributed by the Catholic Peace Fellowship -  NJ,

Box 4451, Metuchen, NJ 08840

Spiro_CatholicPeaceFellowship_NJ at hotmail.com
www.CatholicPeaceFellowship.org <http://www.CatholicPeaceFellowship.org>
ANNOUNCEMENTS

DRAFT INFORMATION WORKSHOPS

Primarily designed for high school students and young men and women of
draft age (and their parents), The Catholic Peace Fellowship offers a
short program on the new draft law and Catholic teachings on Peace, War
and Conscientious Objection, as well as how to prepare a conscientious
objector file in anticipation of the draft.
We can also provide a program for public schools or other non-Catholic
audiences, with a broader approach. Contact us at
Catholic Peace Fellowship
Stephen J Spiro, New Jersey Organizer
Box 4451 - Brainy Boro Station
Metuchen, NJ 08840-4451
Voice: (732) 549-8965          Fax: (509) 693-1815
Spiro_CatholicPeaceFellowship_NJ at Hotmail.Com

CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR COUNSELLOR (DRAFT COUNSELLOR) TRAINING

With the possibility of a new military draft, the Catholic Peace
Fellowship is providing training for men and women who work with youth,
to enable them to give advice and support to young men and women about
both the new draft law and the Church's teachings on War and Peace. Also
includes material for counseling current members of the military who are
seeking discharge for reasons of conscience.  (Programs for mixed or
non-Catholic audiences are also available.)  Good program for pastors,
high school and college teachers, guidance counselors, chaplains, church
staff.  Contact us at
Catholic Peace Fellowship
Stephen J Spiro, New Jersey Organizer
Box 4451 - Brainy Boro Station
Metuchen, NJ 08840-4451
Voice: (732) 549-8965          Fax: (509) 693-1815
Spiro_CatholicPeaceFellowship_NJ at Hotmail.Com

PROGRAMS FOR YOUR SCHOOL, CHURCH OR ORGANIZATION
The Catholic Peace Fellowship can provide interesting, exciting and/or
provocative J speakers, panels, or dramatic presentations for you, on a
variety of topics. You can use them as educational activities or
fundraisers. We can also arrange bible studies (one evening/day or a
series) with qualified scripture scholars.  Call to get more
information.
Catholic Peace Fellowship
Stephen J Spiro, New Jersey Organizer
Box 4451 - Brainy Boro Station
Metuchen, NJ 08840-4451
Voice: (732) 549-8965          Fax: (509) 693-1815
Spiro_CatholicPeaceFellowship_NJ at Hotmail.Com

Every Saturday: Weekly Iraq Memorial Wall Vigil, 11:15 AM until 12:30 PM
in Highland Park, NJ at the intersection of Rte 27 and River Rd. RAIN or
SHINE, SNOW or WIND until the US withdraws its troops from Iraq.

There is a peace vigil every Friday night in Morristown, NJ. It lasts
from 6 PM to 7 PM. The location is in front of the monument at the South
Street side of the Green. On your map, this is the intersection of Rt 24
and Rt 202. Held regardless of weather.

There is a peace vigil every Saturday in Plainfield, NJ. It lasts from
noon until 1 PM. The location is on Watchung Avenue at the corner of
Third Street. This is in front of the historic Friends' Meeting House.
Free parking at the Meeting House. Cancelled if pouring rain.

THE CATHOLIC PEACE FELLOWSHIP WILL HAVE AN INFORMATION TABLE AT the
Dunellen Street Fair on North Avenue in downtown Dunellen, NJ  Sunday,
September 11, 10 am to 5pm.

Setup is at 7:30am. The Catholic Peace Fellowship could use some help
manning the table, setting up and taking down.  Come help for a little
while or all day! Thank you!  For more info, call Stephen Spiro at
732-661-1962.

September 14, Wednesday. 7:30 pm. Pax Christi meeting. Mt St Mary's
School (Watchung, NJ), opposite Sears on Route 22, at Terrell Rd.

Go all the way up the hill and go into the main entrance of the school
(between the two big columns).  Go straight ahead, then turn right and
go all the way down the corridor.

THE CATHOLIC PEACE FELLOWSHIP WILL HAVE AN INFORMATION TABLE AT the
Volunteer Fair at St Peter's College, Jersey City, NJ.  Dineen Hall -
Roy Irving,  Thursday, September 15.

The Catholic Peace Fellowship could use some help manning the table,
setting up and taking down.  Come help for a little while or all day!
Thank you!  For more info, call Stephen Spiro at 732-661-1962.

THE CATHOLIC PEACE FELLOWSHIP will be leafleting at Meet the Teachers
Night at Metuchen High School, Grove Ave, Metuchen, NJ on Thursday, Sept
15, at about 6:30.  The Catholic Peace Fellowship could use some help
with the leafleting.  We will stay until the crowds thin, probably no
later than 8pm,

THE CATHOLIC PEACE FELLOWSHIP WILL HAVE AN INFORMATION TABLE AT the
Martin Luther King Commemoration at St Peter's College, Jersey City, NJ.
Thursday, September 22.

The Catholic Peace Fellowship could use some help manning the table,
setting up and taking down.  Come help for a little while or all day!
Thank you!  For more info, call Stephen Spiro at 732-661-1962.

THE CATHOLIC PEACE FELLOWSHIP WILL HAVE AN INFORMATION TABLE AT the
Peace Fair at Buckingham Friends Meeting in Lahaska, Penna.  Saturday,
September 24, 11am to 4 pm.

Setup is at 9am - the Catholic Peace Fellowship could use some help
manning the table, setting up and taking down.  Come help for a little
while or all day! Thank you!  For more info, call Stephen Spiro at
732-661-1962.

September 24, Saturday: March on Washington, End the War on Iraq! Bring
Our Troops Home! Central Jersey Coalition Against Endless War has buses
going to Washington from the New Brunswick area and returning the same
day.  Bus tickets are $35 (student discounts and scholarships will be
available) and reservations need to be made in advance.  Send a check to
CJCAEW, PO Box 7726, North Brunswick, NJ 08902 for a seat and tell your
friends about the demonstration.  If you can not attend the
demonstration, you can buy a seat for someone who can't afford the price
by sending a check to the above address indicating that you are making a
donation.