[Marxism] Query Re: Cindy Sheehan on the Palestinian issue

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 16 13:44:17 MDT 2005

Lou posted an excerpt from the Anderson Cooper show transcript about
Cindy Sheehan:

> (From Anderson Cooper show last night on CNN.)
>
> COOPER: You were also quoted as saying, "My son joined the Army to
> protect
> America, not Israel. You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of
> Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism." How responsible do you
> believe
> Israel is for the amount of terrorism in the world?
>
> SHEEHAN: I didn't say that.
>
> COOPER: You didn't say that? OK.
>
> SHEEHAN: I didn't -- I didn't say -- I didn't say that my son died for
> Israel. I've never said that. I saw somebody wrote that and it
> wasn't my
> words. Those aren't even words that I would say.
>
> I do believe that the Palestinian issue is a hot issue that needs
> to be
> solved and it needs to be more fair and equitable but I never said
> my son
> died for Israel.
>
> --
>
> www.marxmail.org

I've seen the Right points to this <http://groups-beta.google.com/
group/bullyard/msg/7f523b1a73be1a36?hl=en> as evidence.  The relevant
passage from what is said to be a message from Cindy Sheehan included
in it reads: "Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I
angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to
benefit Israel. My son joined the Army to protect America, not
Israel. Am I stupid? No, I know full-well that my son, my family,
this nation, and this world were betrayed by a George Bush who was
influenced by the neo-con PNAC agenda after 9/11. We were told that
we were attacked on 9/11 because the terrorists hate our freedoms and
democracy...not for the real reason, becuase the Arab-Muslims who
attacked us hate our middle-eastern foreign policy. That hasn't
changed since America invaded and occupied Iraq...in fact it has
gotten worse."  Is this a hoax?

Also, Mike Ferner, whose article I (as well as CounterPunch,
Electronic Iraq, etc. published), wrote:

was the noble cause Casey died for?' Was it freedom and democracy?
Bullshit! He died for oil. He died to make your friends richer. He
died to expand American imperialism in the Middle East. We're not
freer here, thanks to your PATRIOT Act. Iraq is not free. You get
America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the
terrorism," she exclaimed.

"There, I used the 'I' word -- imperialism," the 48 year-old mother
quipped. "And now I'm going to use another 'I' word -- impeachment --
because we cannot have these people pardoned. They need to be tried
on war crimes and go to jail."

<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/ferner090805.html></blockquote>

Did Mike hear her wrong?

I'm mainly interested in this issue for fact-checking purposes.

Yoshie Furuhashi
<http://montages.blogspot.com>
<http://monthlyreview.org>
<http://mrzine.org>
* Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud-
ahmadinejads-face.html>;  <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez-
congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/
2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>