[Marxism] Query Re: Cindy Sheehan on the Palestinian issue

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 16 14:50:41 MDT 2005

Lou wrote:

> >Did Mike hear her wrong?
> >
> >I'm mainly interested in this issue for fact-checking purposes.
> >
> >Yoshie Furuhashi
>
> I should have mentioned that the interview is online at:
>
> http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0508/15/acd.01.html
>
> After taking a look at it, it seems to me that whatever Sheehan has
> said in the past, she is very conscious now of using what we used
> to call "defensive formulations" in the SWP. For those in the WWP
> and elsewhere who ready to nominate her as anti-imperialist of the
> year, it would seem that  her level of political sophistication is
> much higher than those addicted to "more leftist than thou" rhetoric.

In my view, a majority of Americans are in sympathy with her, and it
is the Bush administration and right-wingers who are on the
defensive.  Cindy Sheehan can either brush off stupid questions like
that or stick to whatever she really thinks, honesty being the best
policy.  The truth be told, while only a minority of Americans are
sympathetic toward Palestinians, American sympathy toward Israel is
often wildly overestimated, both by critics and supporters of
Israel.  Just as most Americans take a dim view of foreign aid in
general, most of them aren't happy with Washington's aid to Israel
either.  She can say what she thinks and get away with it -- half the
US population are already thinking like her.

I hope that Sheehan won't let her handlers think for her and make her
say what they want her to say:

one of the creators of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream -- hired Fenton
Communications, a Washington public relations firm that has worked
intermittently with Sheehan over the past year to coordinate media
coverage.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Joe Trippi, the political consultant behind former Vermont governor
Howard Dean's early success in the 2004 Democratic presidential
primary race, hosted a conference with Sheehan for liberal Internet
bloggers, hoping their online dispatches will draw even wider attention.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/
AR2005081201816.html></blockquote>

Remember, these are the kind of people who shape the Democratic
Party's image and message, helping its presidential candidate get
branded as a "flip-flopper."  In other words, these Democratic
consultants are losers who can help you snatch defeat out of the jaws
of victory.  Watch out, Cindy!

Yoshie Furuhashi
<http://montages.blogspot.com>
<http://monthlyreview.org>
<http://mrzine.org>
* Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud-
ahmadinejads-face.html>;  <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez-
congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/
2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>