[Marxism] Sheehan's quote

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Wed Aug 17 13:36:59 MDT 2005

> The problem with Mr. Goden's formulation is first that it's wrong, and
> second that it bears too close a resemblance to, allows itself to become
> absorbed in right wing, conservative, conspiracy theories about Zionism,
> i.e like the invasion of Iraq was determined by and for the protection
> of Israel, thus obscuring the real class basis of the war in capitalism
> in the decline in the rate of profit after 1997;  again after 2000; in
> the overproduction of capital, the means of production, and commodities
> (oil);  thus obscuring the need for a real anti-capitalist,
> international working class social revolution.
>
> That's the problem.

No.  The problem is that you don't retain much of what you read, a malaise
common to political know-it-alls.   This is what I wrote:

"Zionist interests have an inordinate
amount of influence on US middle east policy.   This has been acknowledged
by everyone from Zbignew Brzezinski to Henry Kissinger to Bill Cllinton.
Even the New York Review of Books, long the voice of the liberal
intellectual zionist now openly admits it.   And, yes, that influence is and
was potent enough to tip the scales in favor of war and to continue it,
although the imagined scenario of a series of new, Israel-friendly
governments springing up in place of medieval Islamic fascists is coming
apart at the seams.

"U.S. imperialism is not going to allow its interests to be subordinant to
those of Israel, it is true -- anyway, there are many many people of
influence within the establishment who do not like Israel, and for all the
wrong reasons.   But, where the interests of both intersect, AIPAC and
allied lobbies  has the juice and the money and the votes to tip the balance
in favor of Israel.   Let's not kid ourselves."

Now.  If you wish to argue that the zionists are not powerful or influential
enough to campaign successfully for the removal of an intractable enemy like
Saddam Hussein, then simply say so.  I happen to think that making the world
safe for Israel was a major reason we went to war, as do most people.

Louis G