[Marxism] Re: Cindy Sheehan quote (response to Yoshie)

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Thu Aug 18 07:44:43 MDT 2005

Yoshie wrote:
I believe that Cindy Sheehan is trying to put a spin on the situation
that unfortunately does not jive with available evidence.  You see,
the email message posted by Tony (not Ted Bettag) which contains her
letter to ABC Nightline that the Wikipedia entry on her (at <http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_Sheehan>) leads visitors to is dated "Mar
18, 8:33 pm," i.e. _long_ before the national media burdened her with
her "new found notoriety" and Democratic Party consultants.

If you read her letter, btw, it's a very moving letter, and it seems
quite authentic to me.  It sounds like her and millions of other
liberal, leftist, and libertarian Americans.  I believe that she
should embrace it, rather than repudiate it.

Fred comments:
"Spin", as we all know, is bourgeois politics-ese for lying.  So when it
comes down to who are you going to believe  -- because of Yoshie's own
political beliefs, which basically coincide with the statement she
DEFINITELY  did not make in the interview and which she repudiated in
the earlier  letter -- believes Cindy Sheehan is lying and is basically
waging a public campaign around this.

Note also that Yoshie misquotes Sheehan, indicating she "repudiates" the
letter, whereas she repudiates the sentence. And what is her proof that
what Sheehan says is a spin-lie? That then she wasn't saddled with
Democratic Party consultants.  The whole issue is really revolving
around Yoshie's views on Palestine, not around solidarity with the
fighter in the battlefield Cindy Sheehan.

The thing has come down to "who do you believe" -- noone at this point
can PROVE anything. And it looks like in these conditions, Yoshie may
still on the prod against Sheehan on this matter. What could be proven
-- that Sheehan did not make the remark in the interview as she said she
did not -- has in fact been proven.  Frankly, I am straight-up opposed
to Yoshie turning her research skills into any further efforts to
discredit Sheehan's statements.

I always disagreed with the sentence attributed to Sheehan.  But it
never occurred to me to try to discredit it or even to comment on it,
when I sent a report on her comments on Palestine to the list. I put a
"positive spin" on it, noting the importance of the Palestine issue and
not going into why I did not think her son "died for Israel, not
America."  In that sense, I do start -- as Joaquin said -- with truth,
not just facts, in class confrontations, which is what is going on the
road near the Bush ranch.

I was interested in debating the idea if it comes from Louis G or some
other list member, but I wasn't going to take it on in opposition to an
aggrieved mother waging a vitally important fight against the US
government. Anymore than I make a big point of challenging these types
of ideas  when they are uttered by Palestinian fighters in battle on the
West Bank.

Frankly, I don't think Sheehan needs journalistic search-and-destroy
operations from the left against her alleged "concessions" to
counterbalance the search-and-destroy operations coming from the right.
I think she needs 100 percent support and solidarity -- wherever
possible, in the streets.

I really hope Yoshie drops this now.
Fred Feldman