[Marxism] Cindy Sheehan's quote: Why they aren't all taking the bait?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:37:18 MDT 2005

Fred wrote:

> That's what it would mean for the media to crusade against
> Sheehan's anti-Israel positions, correct?

As I already said, I don't think that Cindy Sheehan has anything to
be ashamed of in the email message that is attributed to her, if it
turns out to be exactly what she wrote down.  It's not her thought on
Israel and Palestinians but how she handles questionings about it
that concerns me.  For instance, in her blog entry, she said, "I
believe he [the person who gave Sheehan ABC producer Tom Bettag's
email address] changed the email and sent it out to capitalize on my
new found notoriety by promoting his own agenda" (at <http://
www.huffingtonpost.com/cindy-sheehan/camp-casey-
day-11_b_5813.html>).  That -- malicious alteration of an email
message -- is a pretty weighty charge to hurl against a person,
unless she has evidence of it.  If the charge is true, it's all well
and good.  But what if it isn't?  That -- not the political content
of her email message -- can create a credibility problem, especially
if the unnamed person (if he exists) confronts her on it.

That's why I have been saying that Sheehan would have been better off
if she had simply said:

(1) "Yes, I said it, and I have a right to say it" (affirmation and
elaboration on it if necessary)

or

(2) "Yes, I said it, BUT, at that time, I was just learning about US
Middle East policy.  Having learned more about it, I NOW believe
blah, blah, blah" (statement of change of mind).

Either way, the media's questioning, if it continues at all, would be
a political issue, rather than her character issue.  The denial (I
didn't say it, someone else made it up, etc.), UNLESS she can prove
malicious alternation that she alleges (or at the very least make it
sound more plausible), keeps her credibility issue open if and when
the corporate media decide to pursue it.

Yoshie Furuhashi
<http://montages.blogspot.com>
<http://monthlyreview.org>
<http://mrzine.org>
* Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud-
ahmadinejads-face.html>;  <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez-
congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/
2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>