[Marxism] International Marti conference - Havana, Cuba, October 2005

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 21:36:38 MDT 2005

(José Martí’s life, work, thought and example are what
inspired, motivated, educated and sustained Fidel, the
Moncadistas and continue to do so up to our times.
Fidel Castro described Marti as the intellectual author
of the attack on the Moncada and Bayamo barracks in
1953. His strategic thinking, such as the famous final
testament in his letter to Manuel Mercado, written but
three days before his death in combat in 1895 provide
the essential keys to understanding Cuba’s Revolution.

(His complex and subtle thinking incorporates so much
of human social analysis! It’s not possible to grasp the
true meaning of the Cuban Revolution, not to draw the
necessary implications from it, without an understanding
of Marti’s thinking. I sure wish we had more of it online in
English.)