[Marxism] Brecht Forum schedule (NYC)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 20 18:47:50 MDT 2005

P L E A S E     F O R W A R D    W I D E L Y

The Brecht Forum
451 West St.  (Betw Bank & Bethune)
New York, NY 10014

1,2,3 A,C,E,L to 14th st.
(212) 242- 4201
www.brechtforum.org <http://www.brechtforum.org>

In this email:

1.) Ashes and Embers POSTPONED. Marcus Garvey film to be shown instead.
2.) August 23--Selected Short Films
3.) August 24- As an Act of Protest
4.) Outcry for Justice: Commemoration of Sacco & Vanzetti

NOTICE OF CHANGE
Haile Germia is not able to come or bring his film 'Ashes and Embers'this
Sunday, August 21. He had to-at the last moment- travel overseas on a film
project. We will make this up at a later date and will notify all.

HOWEVER, we will still met at 4pm and show "Look for Me in The Whirlwind" A
documentary on Marcus Garvey. Discussion will follow this important
documentary. Bring family and friends!

Tuesday, August 23
7:30 pm
VISUAL LIBERATION FILM SERIES
Black August Festival

Selected Shorts

Red Eye, Isolated Incidents & The Adventures of Super Nigger: Episode I, The
Final Chapter

Discussion to Follow Screening

  This evening we will present a selection of strong and creative short
films--some drama, some comedy, some documentary--by young black filmmakers.
Films include:

Red Eye directed by Kevin Gordon. What goes through a person's mind in the
blink of an eye? Could you let an assumption made in a split second influence
your judgment? Red Eye deals with several different issues in our culture,
including prejudice, xenophobia, in a silent manner, yet is powerful enough to
be felt with or without volume.

Isolated Incidents, directed by retired comedian Kahil Shkymba, expresses the
sentiment of the countless people across the country who are affected by
police abuse of power.

The Adventures of Super Nigger is directed by Alrick Brown. The title of this
film often catches people off guard, but it should be understood that "Super
N" is an allegory about the shooting death of Amadou Diallo and the title fits
into the larger context of the film and the life of the filmmaker.

Suggested donation: $6/$10/$15

Wednesday, August 24
7:30 pm
VISUAL LIBERATION FILM SERIES
Black August Festival

As An Act of Protest

Discussion to Follow Screening

This intense and visceral feature film is a clear 'line in the sand' which
demands the eradication of racism. The story follows Cairo Medina, a young
black actor and his journey to escape the psychological torture of
colonization by searching for ways to counter the effects of racism and police
brutality before they destroy him.

Suggested donation: $6/$10/$15
Saturday, August 27
7:30 pm

Outcry for Justice

Poetry in the Struggle for Freedom of Sacco and Vanzetti

Created and Directed by Paula Panzarella

Poetry, music, history and commentary on the lives and deaths of Nicola Sacco
and Bartolomeo Vanzetti, Italian immigrant anarchists, executed by the State
of Massachusetts in 1927.

  Paula Panzarella, is a New Haven resident, performance poet, freelance writer
and social justice activist. She has edited poetry anthologies including the
three volumes of Poems on the Road to Peace, poetry presented a the Yale
University Peabody Museum's 2002-2004 celebrations of the legacy of Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr.

Suggested donation: $6/$10/$15