[Marxism] Republican Senator: Iraq is new Vietnam

M. Junaid Alam alam1 at lefthook.org
Sun Aug 21 15:46:14 MDT 2005

Hagel Says Iraq War Looking Like Vietnam

Associated Press

A leading Republican senator said Sunday the war in
Iraq is looking more like the Vietnam conflict from a
generation ago.

Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record),
who received two Purple Hearts and other military
honors for his service in Vietnam, reaffirmed his
position that the United States needs to develop a
strategy to leave Iraq.

"Stay the course is not a policy," said Hagel, a
possible White House contender in 2008. "By any
standard, when you analyze 2 1/2 years in Iraq ...
we're not winning."

Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record), R-Va.,
another possible candidate for the GOP nomination for
president in 2008, said the formation of a
constitution guaranteeing basic freedoms would provide
a rallying point for Iraqis.

Political leaders in Baghdad were working to complete
the draft of the new constitution in time for the
Monday night deadline for parliamentary approval.

"The terrorists don't have anything to win the hearts
and minds of the people of Iraq. All they care to do
is disrupt," said Allen, who appeared with Hagel on
ABC's "This Week."

Hagel said more U.S. troops is not the solution.

"We're past that stage now because now we are locked
into a bogged-down problem not unsimilar, dissimilar
to where we were in Vietnam," Hagel said. "The longer
we stay, the more problems we're going to have."

Allen said that unlike the communist-guided North
Vietnamese that the U.S. fought, the insurgents in
Iraq have no guiding political philosophy or
organization. Still, Hagel argued, the similarities
are growing.

"What I think the White House does not yet understand
— and some of my colleagues — the dam has broke on
this policy," Hagel said. "The longer we stay there,
the more similarities (to Vietnam) are going to come together."