[Marxism] Shoot then cry

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 21 17:49:55 MDT 2005

This reminds me of the recent Israeli motion picture
WALK ON WATER, which I thought effectively portrayed
the spiritual disintegration and the subsequent
resurrection - after he resigned from the Israeli
intelligence services, of an Israeli assassin.

Assigned to follow the grandson of a Nazi official
to try to track down the Nazi, whom we learn later
is an invalid in a wheelchair who can barely breathe,
but whom the supervising Israeli plans to terminate,
the Israeli assassin develops qualms of conscience
for a raft of reasons. I personally enjoyed the film
and the various conflicts portrayed within it rather
powerfully.

KEN TURAN'S LA TIMES REVIEW:
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-water4mar04,0,3196386.story>

JAMES HOLSTUN wrote:
Tony Kushner, who has been pretty good on the Occupation
before, is in the midst of a classic shoot-then-cry
screenplay--Steven Spielberg's MUNICH, which will focus on
the exquisite moral second-thoughts suffered by the Israeli
assassins sent to kill the Munich assassins and other
Palestinian leaders. My guess is that there will not be
much cinematic time devoted to the 200 Palestinians, almost
all civilians, were killed in Israeli "reprisal" raids in
Syria and Lebanon. Then as now, dead Arabs don't count.

Feh.

utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/marxism