[Marxism] Rela Mazali: Iraq, Palestine, and Resisting Erasure

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 23 01:04:11 MDT 2005

Iraq, Palestine, and Resisting Erasure
by Rela Mazali

. . . There are many distinctions between the specific situation in
Iraq and the specific situation in the West Bank and Gaza. But almost
all the points above [excerpted from the "Declaration of Jury of
Conscience" at the World Tribunal on Iraq, 27 June 2005] bear strong
analogies to aspects of Israel's ruthless occupation and its
continuing war against the Palestinians. As citizens of a sovereign
state with an active elections system and legislature, it is the
people of Israel who bear direct responsibility for the occupation
and oppression of the people of the West Bank and Gaza, through their
government and their army. But it is a single power-based authority
-- the United States -- that grants and protects the international
impunity of both the occupiers of Iraq and the occupiers of Palestine.
Resisting one of them requires and involves resisting the other.
Resisting the occupation of Palestine means also addressing the
U.S.A. and its actions in the region. Resisting the occupation of
Iraq means also addressing Israel and its continuing contribution to
the militarization of the region.

I believe that the groups resisting each part of this interconnected
web could gain from finding out much more about each other and
coordinating action at specific, clear-cut points. For instance,
right now, New Profile is preparing a speaking tour in the U.S. for
Diana Dolev (one of the organizers of this conference), and we've
been trying -- though without clear results yet -- to set up joint
talks with Iraq Veterans Against the War, with the feminist anti-war
group Code Pink, and with other U.S. anti-war groups. We believe that
the messages on each of these distinct cases -- Iraq and Palestine --
would both amplify and clarify each other; Would underline the
urgency of each and both. This type of work could connect us to U.S.
audiences who haven't yet invested much interest in Israel-Palestine.
It could offer our American counterparts various methods, ideas,
language.

For many, and maybe all, of us this link between occupations and
occupiers is completely evident. But I'd like to stress that I
believe it terribly important for some of us to invest in learning
the specifics -- exactly how the channels of connection run;
Precisely which economic and political bodies, institutions and
individuals are active in both contexts. It's vital to understand as
much as we possibly can about how those exercising power in these
different but linked locations interact and interconnect. That is the
matrix of power that we're resisting. We need to see it clearly in
order to direct our resistance. . . .

FULL TEXT:
<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/mazali230805.html>

Yoshie Furuhashi
<http://montages.blogspot.com>
<http://monthlyreview.org>
<http://mrzine.org>
* Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud-
ahmadinejads-face.html>;  <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez-
congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/
2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>