[Marxism] Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Tue Aug 23 21:15:41 MDT 2005

It is people like Mr Bustelo who most eloquently recall Gore Vidal's dictum
that "journalism, like politics, has always been the choice of the ambitious
but lazy second-rater."   If his posts here are an example of the kind of
journalism he produces, then Mr Bustelo has scant room to criticize the work
of others.

He assures us that the Pat Robertson story is significant because it
allegedly led off today's State Department briefing.   I've seen State
Department briefings that led off with a discussion of Angelie Jolie's trip
to Cambodia or chuckling references to Jim Guckert/Jeff Gannon's all male
nude website when he was promoted as a bona fide blogger/journalist at the
White House.   Where is this Pat Robertson story going to lead?   Nowhere.
And that's all I was saying.

Mr Bustelo pretends to be the last word in what constitutes news of import
in our nation but can't even read and understand plain English.   Yes, I did
in fact mean the New York *Times* in my post earlier, and any damn fool --
even Joaquin Bustelo -- can readily ascertain that I am  rather fond of the
Chinese revolution, although somewhat perplexed at times by the always
fascinating, always unpredictable turns that revolution has always taken.
And I am quite proud of my blog
(http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/marxisminternational) though, like anything
else, it can stand improvement.

But what concerns me most about Mr Bustelo is this implicit assumption that
because he is a Latino intellectual he has some special insight into
politics that others lack.  I am Native American (Passumoquoddy).   As an
early "victim" of American malfeasance whose people still suffer the effects
of several hundred years of colonization, am I entitled to claim a special
insight that others must defer to in silence.  Of course not.   It is a
person's class position that matters.   Mr Bustelo is no better than anyone
else.   I am not sure he has told us where he works or what he has done, but
that is always helpful.  My history, good and bad, is quite transparent.
Let people judge for themselves, without the name-calling and nit-picking
that seems to characterize so much of Mr Bustelo's efforts.

Louis G