[Marxism] Re: Ecuador Protesters are Optimistic over Oil Deal

Josh Saxe joshsaxe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:37:14 MDT 2005

Fred says Chavez is giving oil to the Ecuadoran government to help
them grant those striking against them concessions.  What the ...?!?
I'm sorry but that's pretty ridiculous.  Chavez is scabbing on a
popular struggle in Ecuador, one doesn't have to be in South America
to recognize that.  This is a good example of the way Chavez's policy
of "integration" of Latin American economies runs up against the
requirements of international solidarity with popular struggles:

http://www.falkland-malvinas.com/Detalle.asp?NUM=6303
The administration of Ecuadorian president Alfredo Palacio faces a
serious economic backlash because the oil producing areas in the
Amazon have been forced to close down by labour and regional strife
putting exports at risk.

Negotiations to address the dispute have begun but in the meantime
Venezuela, responding to a request from the Palacio administration,
will supply Ecuador's clients. "Ecuadorians have requested our help.
I'm going to say it straight and loud, we're going to lend them oil.
The contracts Ecuador have been so far unable to fulfill, and possibly
in the coming days, Venezuela will comply with them".

Mr. Chavez said Ecuador "won't have to pay a cent for that oil;
they'll return it to us when they recover and I'm convinced they will
recover".