[Marxism] Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Wed Aug 24 10:14:26 MDT 2005

Hi Wayne;

Well, yes, it does add another piece to the emerging portrait of an American
administration in disarray.

But, I don't think it necessarily subtracts from Robertson's stock among his
followers.   They are, presumably, already familiar with his statements
about permissive parents, atheists and same-sex sexers being responsible for
911.  And wasn't he the one who claimed that God had "ordained" GWB?   I
mean, how can a statement extolling the violent demise of a "communist" and
oil baron hurt him among his followers?   On the contrary, I am sure it has
enhanced his standing among the rank-and-file evangelical who hates, HATES
liberals and left-wing intellectuals.

And they have a point, as Dick Lewontin points out; there *is* a class
awareness that people on the Left talk the talk but won't walk the walk.
The lower middle class (which provide most of the foot soldiers for the
Christian Right) feels so disenfranchised and so alienated and so left out,
it is an easy matter to channel this resentment toward the people who look
down their nose at them.   College-educated affluent liberals who enjoy
degrees of security quite foreign to the imagination of the average blue
collar worker or laborer can never hope to win allies among the latter until
they learn how to speak to them on their own terms.   Shrill, hypocritical
denunciations issuing from a despised "elite" of someone these people look
upon as one of their own simply won't work and any political "victories" won
on this level will I believe prove to be pyrrhic ones.

Again, I think the real story here is the undermining of the shibboleth of
the "world's lone superpower", exposing as it does the deep fault lines in
American society and the Bush regime's relationship to the wider world.
*That's* the story I think we should be pursuing.

And that's about all I have to say on this thread.

Louis G