[Marxism] Pain, Anxiety, Felt by White Segregationists at End of Jim Crow Era

M. Junaid Alam alam1 at lefthook.org
Wed Aug 24 22:56:49 MDT 2005

Pain, Anxiety, Felt by White Segregationists at End of Jim Crow Era

M. Junaid Alam

Washington D.C., June 17, 1955.
By M. JUNAID ALAM

Following last year's controversial Supreme Court ruling that
"segregation of white and Negro children in the public schools of a
State solely on the basis of race…denies Negro children the equal
protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment," a large
number of whites across the South are experiencing great pain and agony
as an historic era comes to an end.

"Keeping those niggers out of our schools and neighborhoods was such an
important part of the white dream," John C. Black, an Alabama
businessman with strong ties to the local Christian community, tearfully
recalled. "After all, this land belongs to us, that's what God and
Manifest Destiny says," he added.

Many white citizens in the Southern states, along with some in the
North, feel trapped and endangered by what they perceive to be a
radically pro-Negro agenda sweeping the country. Some have even vowed to
resist the government's mandates. "When the cops come here and try to
force us to board the buses with those black hoodlums, we will fight
them every step of the way," Stan White, a South Carolina preacher,
roared to an applauding audience at a political event sponsored by the
White Citizen's Council.

Such scenes of tumult erupted last week across Alabama, as emotional
white parents fought police officers and National Guardsmen, hurling
rocks and spitting at them as they attempted to escort Negroes to
schools. "They're traitors, I used to admire our military, but now I
don't know," Rob Black, a protesting parent of two boys at a large
Montgomery high school said.

Prominent spokesman for segregation, Elie Weasel, appeared deeply pained
by the ongoing situation and condemned Negroes for their callousness.
"Look at those Negroes, why, they don't even sympathize while many of us
whites experience the great pain and suffering of having to relinquish
part of what makes us so superior to them," he lamented in a recent
opinion piece published in a prominent paper.

At the time of this report, several Negroes had been lynched. None,
however, were available for comment.

/The above satire was penned in honor of the highly objective reporting
provided by the mainstream American media on the Gaza withdrawal, and in
appreciation of the wise words of Elie Wiesel.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/21/opinion/21wiesel.html>/

M. Junaid Alam, 22, is co-editor of the leftist youth journal Left Hook,
http://www.lefthook.org, and a journalism student at Northeastern
University in Boston. He can be attacked at alam at lefthook.org
<mailto:alam at lefthook.org>.