[Marxism] Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez

Eric Johnson ewjohnson72 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 09:32:06 MDT 2005

I would say this plays well for bot the US government and Venezuela, The Us government can say "oh that Robertson is a little nutty, but who is this Chavez?"  Why would he say this? well he is a dangerous dictator who sits on a lot of our oil that we have to take care of."
 If the whole statement by Robertson is played in Latin America, which i am sure it is.  It will do nothing but help Chavez, with all the talk of sphere of influence, natural resources and the monroe doctrine.  As an aside, once again Hitchens has made unbelievable thing about chavez calling him a dangerous demagoge populist who cozies up to islamists!

Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:49:58 -0400 Jon Flanders
writes:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 11:30 -0400, Louis R Godena wrote:
> > Moreover, Chavez himself says it's no big deal. He knows Bush,
> > Reich, Rumsfeld, Abrams, *et al* have said that much and worse on
> > many, many occasions, and in all probability have set in motion
> plans
> > to get him out of the way for real. For the life of me I can't
> see
> > what the big deal is.

It's a big deal, in that Pat Robertson dared to talk openly
about killing Chavez on television. He certainly didn't
say anything that wasn't already on the minds of Bush,
Cheney, Rumsfeld et al, but that's not the sort of
thing for them to talk about in public. For them,
the idea is to do the deed, without talking about
it, thereby preserving a modicum of deniability.
That way if Chavez were to be assassinated,
the Bushies can publicly express their regrets
while maintaining that he had it "coming to him"
for being a commie. Pat Robertson's loose
talk makes it harder for the Bushies to follow
such a scenario. Now,
if Chavez were to be assassinated, all eyes
would look to the US and the Bush Administration,
with considerable damage to US prestige.

As a rich and powerful religious leader, Pat
Robertson is a figure that the ruling class
has to take seriously, but from their perspective,
he is very much a loose cannon, who hurts
them as much as he helps them.

> Well yes, for Chavez its no big deal because he knows exactly what
> he is
> up against. But it is a big deal for us because we should certainly
> know
> by now that the ruling class is out to create a climate of fear and
> violence that will let them get away with a Chavez assassination
> without much political cost to them here. Not to mention using
> violence
> against dissent here as well.

I would agree that the US ruling class is seeking to
create a climate of fear. But Robertson's sort of loose
talk is counterproductive from the standpoint of
the ruling class, since it would make it harder
for the US to get away with assassinating Chavez.
The idea is that they would prefer to have him
assassinated in such a way so that the US can
maintain deniability. For the US to be openly
linked and implicated in such a crime can
only do damage to US diplomatic interests.

> I'm fine, working days with weekdays off which is why you hear more
> from
> me mid-week.
>
> Oh, and as for Joaquin, he does indeed work for an important news
> organization which is why he must be careful. I value his
> contributions
> very much, hope everyone can stay cool. Please.
>
> Jon

YOU MUST clip all extraneous text before replying to a message.
Send list submissions to: Marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu