[Marxism] RE: Is the Bolivarian Revolution AMarxistRevolution?(Ecuador)

rrubinelli rrubinelli at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 28 13:32:24 MDT 2005

JB  and MF raise the same issue about Fidel and popular fronts.  JB
finds the theoretical and practical basis for... for what?  PFs  a la
Lula, a la Allende, a la the MNR in Bolivia 1952-1964? exactly where do
we see the PFs in Latin America contributing to victory.

Cuba?  Well...it is amazing to me that people can simiply gloss over the
fundamental divide between the Cuban Revolution and what occurred
since-- the defeat of the workers struggles flat out in many countrys,
the "capping " of the struggles in many other countries (South Africa,
etc.), the rollback of social welfare and of revolutionary forms
themselves in other countries (China, Vietnam), and most importantly, in
fact the single most important factor in all of this-- including the
upsurge and triumph in Cuba-- the role of the Soviet Union, and the fact
that the Russian Revolution has finally been defeated, so there isn't a
chance in hell of a popular front getting even the miniscule material
support it might have received in the past.

But I don't think Cuban struggle can in any way shape of from be called
a popular front-- first and foremost the popular front is a
governmental, electoral-based coalition-- no such coalition existed as
the mechanism for the triumph of the Rebel Army.  And there it is, right
there-- the rebel army, independent of the established political
parties, allied with  the 26th July movement, and fundamentally
distanced from the liberal, enlightened, progressive, national
bourgeoisie.

The rebel army took, and maintained,  power-- fighting on a program
which was fundamentally about expropriation of capitalist property.  No
such fight, no such program exists in Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil.
No such fight for any such program, based on an independent mobilization
and organization of the poor, of workers exists as part of PF policy, of
governmental policy in those countries.  In fact what distinguishes the
struggle in Venezuela, what makes it so powerful, is that those
independent organizations of workers and poor, call them Bolivarian
circles, call them anything, do exist, have been encouraged, supported,
defended by the Chavez government.  There is no guarantee, of course,
that such support will continue, if the independence of the workers is
restrained within a framework of private property.

I've stated for the record, and placed in writing, that Lenin's
Imperialism was flawed at birth, outdated even before publication; a
good polemic, with terrible economics.  I can go through that again if
it is desired.  I don't think it's necessary on list again, but I'm
willing.

The world is not divided between oppressor and oppressed nations.

rr