[Marxism] sugar article

rrubinelli rrubinelli at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 07:11:29 MDT 2005

I've culled some stats from the FAO on sugar production and sent them in
table form to Les for his posting for list readers, should he, of course
find value in the stats.  Think the table shows the real upsurge in
production in Brazil, Australia, Thailand (and others); the relatively
flat course of EU sugar refining; the extended decline of Caribbean
production.

Couple of things:

1. Despite my sharp disagreements with JB, the point that the EU
subsidizes its sugar production is well taken.  However, when EU stats
on production, import, and export are adjusted to exclude intra-EU
trade, the real impact of such subsidies on the recent history of sugar
production is less than might be believed.

2. The complaint against the EU was initiated by Australia, and while
Australia may be "south" in the fashionable "north" vs. "south,"  bad
vs. good, division of the world, it sure isn't an oppressed nation.
Australia was joined by Thailand and Brazil in its complaint.   The EU
was joined by 3rd parties, Belize, Guyana, Gabon and a host of others in
opposition to the complaint.

This is part of the problem when making "splits" based on geography,
climate, or even oppressed vs. oppressor national status.

3. The complaint does not target the internal subsidies the EU provides
to its sugar refining industry.  And we can understand why if you  keep
in mind that the complaint is the complaint of one section of the
bourgeoisie against another.

4. I don't think we should be celebrating Lula sticking it to the
imperialists.  Lula isn't sticking anything anywhere near the
imperialists.  See 3 above.  The real burden of this decision, as in the
banana decision, will fall upon the workers and poor of the Caribbean
countries.

5.Just in case:I do not think we should support the  EU position, or its
subsidies.  I don't think we, Marxists, have any business supporting WTO
actions, WTO complaints, WTO decisions.

6.  And finally, in the long and noble tradition of self-advertising,
those interested can check out

Like Oil and Water.... Land and Labor....Then and Now (Bolivia Part 3)
at:

http://thewolfatthedoor.blogspot.com

Where I continue my journey into damnation and try to explain the
impossibility of the "national revolution"  in Bolivia, and by
extension, South America.

rr