[Marxism] Triumph of red state values?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 31 07:23:50 MDT 2005

washingtonpost.com
President's Poll Rating Falls to a New Low
In Post-ABC Survey, 53 Percent of Respondents Say They Disapprove of Bush

By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, August 31, 2005; A06

Rising gas prices and ongoing bloodshed in Iraq continue to take their toll
on President Bush, whose standing with the public has sunk to an all-time
low, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey found Bush's job approval rating at 45 percent, down seven
points since January and the lowest ever recorded for the president in
Post-ABC surveys. Fifty-three percent disapproved of the job Bush is doing.

The war has been a drag on Bush's presidency for many months, but his Iraq
approval ratings in the new poll were little changed from two months ago,
despite widespread violence, a rash of U.S. casualties, antiwar protests
outside the president's Texas ranch and a growing debate about reducing
U.S. troop levels.

What may have pushed Bush's overall ratings down in the latest poll is
pervasive dissatisfaction over soaring gasoline prices. Two-thirds of those
surveyed said gas prices are causing financial hardship to them or their
families. Gas prices stand to go even higher after Hurricane Katrina's
rampage through the oil-rich Gulf of Mexico.

More ominously for the president, six in 10 Americans said there are steps
the administration could take to reduce gas prices. Slightly more than a
third say the recent run-up has been due to factors beyond the
administration's control.

"I supported him last year," said Gina Coleman, 29, a homemaker living in
Camden County, N.J. "I wouldn't vote for him again. It's gas prices, the
war -- just the way he has been handling things. The rise in gas is
something that has been happening for a long time, and the prices are
getting worse. This makes me feel more negative about him, definitely."

Bush also received negative marks for his handling of immigration, the
economy and Social Security, although his ratings on the latter two were
not as low as they were two months ago. A majority of Americans supported
his handling of the campaign against terrorism.

The poll numbers paint a portrait of national frustration with the
direction and leadership of the country, which, if not reversed in coming
months, is likely to color the environment for next year's midterm
elections, putting incumbents in both parties on the defensive.

Dissatisfaction is not limited to the president. Fewer than four in 10
Americans -- 37 percent -- approve of the way the Republican-controlled
Congress is doing its job, the lowest rating for lawmakers in nearly eight
years.

The survey also provided bad news for Democratic leaders, who are judged as
offering Bush only tepid opposition. Slightly more than half of those
surveyed expressed dissatisfaction with congressional Democrats for not
opposing Bush more aggressively.

Self-identified Democrats were particularly impatient. More than three in
four said congressional Democrats have not gone far enough to oppose Bush
on Iraq or on administration policies in general.

"Somebody needs to speak up," said Michelle Burgess, 41, a home health aide
in St. Louis. "Enough is enough. I don't understand why we're over there in
Iraq or what he's doing on other issues. There are too many lives being lost."

Independents were similarly dissatisfied with Democratic leaders for not
challenging the president over the war and other issues, with six in 10
saying Democrats have been too meek.

Public attitudes toward the war have not changed significantly since the
first of the year, the poll found. Slightly more than four in 10 -- 42
percent -- approved of the job Bush is doing in Iraq; 57 percent
disapproved, unchanged in recent months. Slightly more than half -- 53
percent -- said the war was not worth it, while 46 percent said it was,
identical to the results of a Post-ABC poll two months ago. By a 51 percent
to 38 percent ratio, the public said the United States is winning the war,
despite mounting casualties and insurgent attacks.

A majority (54 percent) continued to say the United States should keep
military forces in Iraq until civil order is restored there; 44 percent
said U.S. forces should be withdrawn. Six in 10 opposed announcing a
timetable for withdrawal. Only about one in eight -- 13 percent -- said
U.S. forces should be withdrawn immediately.

Michael Strickland, 31, a factory worker who lives in Pine Bluff, Ark.,