[Marxism] Re: NY Times edit on New Orleans disaster

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Wed Aug 31 11:08:00 MDT 2005

.    On  31.08.05
  wrote  ffeldman at bellatlantic.net (Fred Feldman)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000201c5ae34$de53e660$6401a8c0 at fredpc
  about  [Marxism] NY Times edit on New Orleans disaster

   I am really outraged how the richest nation on earth shows itself
incapable of protecting their people from upcoming natural desasters.

   There was talk for several days that hurricane Katrine might hit
New Orleans, and there were no real preparations for an evacuation and
of reinforcing the levees protecting the city from the surrounding,
higher waters.

   Please go back to the Marxmail archives of September 2004 and find
out that New Orlean's mayor was aware of the dangers to the city
resulting from a major hurricane. And that he said the the 100'000
poor of New Orleans would have no chance to get out of harm's way
because they own no car.

   Did he organize to set up plans to get the people evacuate
nevertheless? Did he organize plans to reinforce the levees and
organize their protection against a hit by a hurricane. Nope. Nothing
happened.

   When the evacuation was finally ordered shortly before landfall of
Katrina a few days ago, it was as announced a year before: everybody
is left by themselves, no common effort to save everybody.

FF> I agree with Jose that this should be viewed as primarily a social
FF> catastrophe, caused by the effects of a decaying social system on
FF> governmental corruption and indifference, infrastructure, race
FF> relations, and human solidarity in all its forms.

   Only now, when "unrest is threatening" among the 20'000 or more
people held in New Orlean's Super Dome, without water, electricity
i.e. no light and no air conditioning in this rooms without windows,
without functioning toilets, only now they start talking about
organizing a bus cavalcade to bring those people to the stadium in
Houston, Texas. Only now they are talking about evacuating the cities
hospitals.

   Why didn't they do it right away? Why wait so long?

FF> We know from Cuban experience that real disasters can happen and the
FF> resulting damage can be contained in advance, during, and afterwards
FF> by the power of organized human solidarity at every level.

   Before the disastrous hurrican Ivan hit western Cuba in September
2004, 1.5 or even 1.9 million people have been brought out of harms
way, in an organized fashion, without leaving anybody behind.

   When poor Cuba can do it, why not the rich USA? They could have
organized a dozen or more planes, hundreds of buses, and what have
you, to organize a complete evacuation of the city.

   There are no material reasons not to save peoples lives, only the
incapacity of the capitalist society which is well able to bring shock
and awe and real destruction in all parts of the globe, conquer
countries, organize hundreds of thousands of soldiers to terrorize
people all around the world, but even then they can't create
conditions where human beings can live in peace and progress.

   From the standpoint of humanity, saving human lives is the first
priority, capitalism is incapable.

   Think also of those who managed to get out of New Orleans and other
areas hit by Katrina. They might be about a million people who are now
wandering around in the USA, who have lost their jobs, their homes,
and will soon not even be possible to use their credit cards to pay
hotel accomodation or whatever, since the banks at home are shut down,
they are flooded and have no electricity and the bank workers
themselves are among the refugees.

   A real social crisis is looming for the USA.

Yours,

  "Nach meiner Ansicht besitzt die Presse _das_ _Recht_,
Schriftsteller, Politiker, Komödianten und andere öffentliche
Charaktere zu _beleidigen_. Achtete ich [so einen Angriff gegen mich]
einer Notiz wert, so galt mir in solchen Fällen der Wahlspruch: à
corsaire, corsaire et demi [auf einen Schelmen anderthalben]."
                  - Karl Marx   17.11.1860  (Herr Vogt, Kapitel XI)