[Marxism] Venezuela Chavez Offers Aid for US Hurricane Victims

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 31 12:29:51 MDT 2005

Venezuela Chavez Offers Aid for US Hurricane Victims

Caracas, Aug 31 (Prensa Latina) Venezuela has conveyed to the US
authorities and people its deep consternation for the tragedy caused
by hurricane Katrina and has offered to send humanitarian aid and oil
so that those hardly hit can cope with the crisis.

A statement issued Wednesday by Venezuelan Foreign Ministry
underlines the most sincere condolences to the relatives of the
victims of the hurricane and the loss of their properties.

The note reiterates President Hugo Chavez´ willingness to send fuel
and humanitarian aid to help those damaged by the fierce storm.

Hundreds of people are feared dead in Mississippi, and the Louisiana
city of New Orleans is badly flooded.

Emergency teams in the southern US are battling to reach survivors of
Hurricane Katrina, the most destructive storm to hit the country in
decades.

The Venezuelan statement comments that the fuel crisis worsens
because of damages to oil facilities in the Gulf of Mexico and on US
southern territory.

"Our government and all the Venezuelan people have closely followed
the news on the hurricane and we are willing to offer our help to the
US people through the Simon Bolivar Humanitarian Task Unit", the note
stresses.

mh/ajs/wap